What's new

BILLY BUDD (1962) coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
BILLY BUDD (1962)
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 123:00
Subtitles English
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 MONO - English
16 X 9 LETTERBOX, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
B&W
BD 50
Special Feature: Commentary by Terence Stamp and Filmmaker Steven Soderbergh; HD Trailer

It’s 1797, and the English frigate Avenger sails wartime seas, ready to engage the French navy in a broadside-for-broadside combat. But there’s another warfare going on, a conflict aboard the king’s ship. It’s the battle of good versus evil, the powerful theme of Herman Melville’s seafaring Billy Budd.

Film-debuting (and 1962 Best Supporting Actor Oscar® nominee) Terence Stamp plays the title role, an archetype of goodness on the man-of-war. Robert Ryan portrays the master-at-arms, efficient and cruel – especially so to young Billy. And director Peter Ustinov plays the captain caught between the inevitable clash of polar opposites. Will good triumph? Perhaps not in Melville’s world. Perhaps never in a merciless time of war.

35645088_10156523713526563_508229759377866752_n.jpg

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
BILLY BUDD (1962)
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 123:00
Subtitles English
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 MONO - English
16 X 9 LETTERBOX, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
B&W
BD 50
Special Feature: Commentary by Terence Stamp and Filmmaker Steven Soderbergh; HD Trailer

It’s 1797, and the English frigate Avenger sails wartime seas, ready to engage the French navy in a broadside-for-broadside combat. But there’s another warfare going on, a conflict aboard the king’s ship. It’s the battle of good versus evil, the powerful theme of Herman Melville’s seafaring Billy Budd.

Film-debuting (and 1962 Best Supporting Actor Oscar® nominee) Terence Stamp plays the title role, an archetype of goodness on the man-of-war. Robert Ryan portrays the master-at-arms, efficient and cruel – especially so to young Billy. And director Peter Ustinov plays the captain caught between the inevitable clash of polar opposites. Will good triumph? Perhaps not in Melville’s world. Perhaps never in a merciless time of war.

35645088_10156523713526563_508229759377866752_n.jpg
You could have given me 100 guesses on WAC's next BD release...and I'd never have guessed this one. Not that it's not a good selection, just way off my radar.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This has been a wish-list request ever since the Blu format was introduced. Wow! I take back every criticism I ever had for WAC! So many thanks. For those who are uninitiated, BB is from a novel -- his last -- by Herman (MOBY DICK) Melville, and is a marvelous social/military commentary and should at least have been nominated for Best Picture of 1962 (Terence Stamp in the title role, however, was). One of a handful of films directed by Peter Ustinov. Robert Ryan co-stars in the pivotal role as Master At Arms Claggart, one of the most complex of movie villains. His jealousy of (and, as is fairly obvious here, his repressed love for) the very popular Billy leads to tragedy. The Warner DVD release of this Allied Artists film looked pretty decent, so this Blu should be dynamite! I can't recommend this too strongly.

I first saw this theatrically at the weird, bunker-like Pix Theater in White Plains, NY. I was twelve, and still not awfully astute when it came to some of the issues presented here, but I loved it then and love it now. Gorgeous 2.35:1 black and white cinematography, and one of the best seafaring movies ever made.

Pre-order when you can, and encourage WAC to give us more of these wonderful classics!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You could have given me 100 guesses on WAC's next BD release...and I'd never have guessed this one. Not that it's not a good selection, just way off my radar.

Yup, that's my feeling about most WAC releases, but this is a very good film, I finally caught up it it a few years ago on TV, not that I'm interested in owning it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Finally, "Billy Budd" on BD.
That's about a near as WAC can get to quenching my thirst for the salty waters off The West Coast of Ireland.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This release comes as a surprise to me also. I never have seen this one for some reason. One of those films I always put off for some unknown reason as I love epics, Historical films and war films so it seems like a film for me. I like the cast too. I always like Robert Ryan so I guess I will get this Blu and finally see it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ooopps, I read the news too fast.
I thought it was "Billy Liar".
But, hey, a film directed under the genius of Peter Ustinov still makes this a great month for WAC;
especially when paired with "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean".
No harm. No foul. And still a day one purchase.
Hmmmmmm, maybe WAC should do a triple-play;
"Billy Budd", "Billy Liar" and "Billy Jack".:D

P.S. to WAC: This Budd's for you.:cheers:

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My radar is better than yours. I’ve been waiting for and expecting this for some time now. Glad it’s finally happening. I can never get too much Black & White ‘Scope.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My boarding school was equipped with 2 35mm projectors with Cinemascope lenses as well as 1.85 aperture plates. We screened Billy Budd there when I was about 13. Gorgeous film with an angelic-looking Terence Stamp in the title role, and the blackest of villains personified by the great Robert Ryan.
As an aside, by the time I was 15, I was curating the films we showed at school. I visited the film exchanges and picked 35mm prints of the films I wanted to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks