Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Cats

Tagline: You will believe.

Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Drama

Director: Tom Hooper

Cast: Francesca Hayward, James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson, Laurie Davidson, Mette Towley, Robert Fairchild, Steven McRae, Ray Winstone, Larry Bourgeois, Laurent Bourgeois, Zizi Strallen, Eric Underwood, Melissa Madden-Gray, Freya Rowley, Aaron Jenkins, Ponciano Almeida

Release: 2019-12-19

Runtime: 110

Plot: A tribe of cats called the Jellicles must decide yearly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new Jellicle life.

Apparently Universal is going to start filming a Cats movie in November with Tom Hooper directing

I really don't understand how this is going to work on film without looking completely ridiculous, both in terms of the physical look of it and the fact that the story is really paper-thin. Onstage, it's saved by the spectacle and a bunch of cool dancing. But apparently they have an idea:

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/201...-screen-adaptation-andrew-lloyd-webbers-cats/

It's worth noting that Universal still has Wicked officially dated for December 20, 2019, but hasn't announced any movement toward production on that film. If that one is taking longer to get off the ground, it's possible this could take that release date

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After seeing it twice in the theater and watching the made-for-home video version, I think I've experienced Cats enough in my lifetime. Others' mileage may vary.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I tend to agree with you, Matt. But if this actually materializes, I'm sure I would see it at least once, just out of sheer curiosity and to support the idea of more musicals being made.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It occurred to me that I haven't yet seen this reported by one of the Hollywood trades, like Deadline, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, etc. You'd think they would pick it up if true.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Someone obviously has more "vision" than I do. I just don't see how they will pull this off. As Jake said it is pretty firmly rooted to the stage. The show succeeds on spectacle and the dancing. Even the video stage version I don't like. And Tom Hooper, after what he did with Les Miz ,and those never ending shaky close-ups, doesn't seem the right choice. Hope I am wrong...but I would be willing to take a bet.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
...why? There's barely a plot to Cats other than "Grizabelle sucks, GTHO!"

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I am not a Cats fan. I like some of the songs but overall, the show bores me.

Of all the Webber musicals that haven’t Ben made into a movie yet, Cats is the least interesting IMO, well, and his bad Phantom sequel.

I’d love to see Sunset Blvd. made into a movie. Yes, of course the musical is based on the classic movie but, I love the music in the stage show and think it would work great as a film musical. Could even get Glen Close to reprise her role from he stage show.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’d love to see Sunset Blvd. made into a movie. Yes, of course the musical is based on the classic movie but, I love the music in the stage show and think it would work great as a film musical. Could even get Glen Close to reprise her role from he stage show.

There has been a little talk about that on and off recently since did the role again in New York last year. However, the thing with Sunset is that because the original film is owned by Paramount -- and the plot actually concerns Paramount -- it would have to be made by Paramount. They can't shop it to another studio, so I think it has to be Paramount saying yes to it. Cats is being made by Universal, but could be taken to another studio if they didn't want to do it. Sunset doesn't have that kind of freedom.

I'm not saying Paramount does or doesn't want to do it -- I don't know -- but I'm just observing that by the nature of the project, Paramount would have the final word on it, in a way that wouldn't be the case for other ALW properties because they can be set up at any studio.

I really don't see Cats working very well because, even if you like it, actors in cat suits clash with the inherent realism of the film medium. It might work better if it was animated, but that won't be the case with Hooper directing. In this particular case, there doesn't seem to be a way to improve upon the taped performance of the show that was done several years ago for PBS.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I vaguely, very vaguely (it’s been so long) that people thought the idea of young street punks dancing like they’re in a ballet, was preposterous. West Side Story the movie, became a huge hit and a fine film.

I don’t claim the Cats is of the same caliber of musical (it is a favorite of mine), but if I can except the dancers in the feline costumes on stage, I can accept them on the screen.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I found Cats made a beautiful album to listen to in the car on a long trip and also made the most boring evening in the theatre. We saw it early in the run in New York and hated it.
Years later when the road show company came to our town, knowing how wonderful it was supposed to be, and that we therefore must be wrong, we saw it again.

-_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_-

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I called it in the first post.

Universal made official today that Cats is taking the December 20, 2019 release date previously set aside for Wicked, which is now being pushed back indefinitely.

Cats will now open against Star Wars Episode IX.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Someone obviously has more "vision" than I do. I just don't see how they will pull this off. As Jake said it is pretty firmly rooted to the stage. The show succeeds on spectacle and the dancing. Even the video stage version I don't like. And Tom Hooper, after what he did with Les Miz ,and those never ending shaky close-ups, doesn't seem the right choice. Hope I am wrong...but I would be willing to take a bet.
I saw this in the theatre on Broadway and thought it was one of the most boring experiences of my theatre going lifetime. I could not believe it was so loved and admired and for some reason I didn’t like it. I had to give it another try, so when the road show company came by, I saw it again. CRICKETS! I found it better in the TV version, because I could start and stop it and watch it in several sessions. I think I would probably fall asleep in the theatre if a new movie was made.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It could very well be terrible. But if it is terrible, it will be a glorious trainwreck interesting-to-watch-because-you-can't-believe-they-thought-it-would-work kind of way.

Or Hooper could have some kind of ace in the hole we don't know about in terms of how to make this work on film. I don't have any idea what that could be, but still.

Either way, I'm curious to see what they do.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
After seeing it twice in the theater and watching the made-for-home video version, I think I've experienced Cats enough in my lifetime. Others' mileage may vary.
"...look, a new day has begun"
- Grizabelle
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks