What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jack Reacher -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Long before there was Never Go Back, there was Jack Reacher - well, a few years before, actually.

In an orderly fashion, especially for completists, and those who simply like to see similar packaging lined neatly on shelves, Paramount has now given us the first film on 4k, eighteen months after the second.

Both films were shot on film, and completed as 2k DIs, so you'll not be finding any huge upgrades here, aside from HDR, which is nicely used.

The track, which was reportedly Dolby Atmos theatrcially is down-graded here to DTS-HD MA 7.1, same as the Blu-ray offering from October of 2016.

For those who don't yet own a copy, the new 4k release is the way to go, as the film is a rip-snorting, action / thriller / police procedural, with enough thrills to keep it moving rapidly through its 130 minute running time.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Only if you don't yet have it

Recommended

RAH

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We got to see Jack Reacher in a theater at the studio a month before release, during the last HTF Hollywood trip, Good times.

The opening scene was truly chilling. I thought there would be more public outcry against it. It really affected me and I am pretty resistant to being emotionally caught up in films. It still chills me. Bummed there is no Atmos, but I will look for the 4k,

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That was great, at Paramount. My only slight reservation as concerns the film was that it seemed like Mr. Herzog’s character — and what a great menacing Bad Guy he can be — seemed a bit less than it could have been. Whether in screen time or development, not sure. Maybe I’d change my mind on seeing it again. But good times, indeed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remember most from that day that we were sworn to secrecy about the quality of the film. Because the national release was a month away, we were implored not to post opinions about it on-line until it opened.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I remember that screening and I think those of us that never read the books like the film more than those that did read them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I remember that screening and I think those of us that never read the books like the film more than those that did read them.
That's often how it goes when Hollywood adapts a novel. They feel the need to make so many changes to the source material (often random, nonsensical changes) that they alienate fans of the books and the films often aren't good enough to attact a large audience of non-readers.

Anyone who has read a Jack Reacher novel knows the character does not resemble Tom Cruise in the slightest.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's often how it goes when Hollywood adapts a novel. They feel the need to make so many changes to the source material (often random, nonsensical changes) that they alienate fans of the books and the films often aren't good enough to attact a large audience of non-readers.

Anyone who has read a Jack Reacher novel knows the character does not resemble Tom Cruise in the slightest.
That was the complaint I heard that Reacher was a big man and was far from looking like Cruise.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That was the complaint I heard that Reacher was a big man and was far from looking like Cruise.

Yeah, fans of the novels went nuts about that.

If I'd known the novels, I might've as well, but going in without that experience, I think Cruise was great. He turned off his usual mega-watt "I'm Tom Cruise - love me!" persona and played the character with the right sense of world-weary vibe that he needed while he also was believable as the action hero.

This is one of my all-time fave Cruise performances...

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
It's tough when the book character is 6' 5" and the star playing him is 5' 6". Kind of takes you out of the movie.

Iain Brown

Agent
Bit bummed there is no Atmos track, But the Audio on the original Blu-ray is stellar especially the Quarry scene. Terrific movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's tough when the book character is 6' 5" and the star playing him is 5' 6". Kind of takes you out of the movie.
If you read the books and you knew Cruise was playing that character then why see the film at all if the height differential is that important to you?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'd enjoy reading the books, or at least one of them, because I'm curious to learn more about the character, physical attributes notwithstanding. Given how strong so many people's feelings are about this, I wonder if I'd still picture him as Cruise in spite of the written word, or if those descriptions are so compelling that my mental image of the character would be led away from that of Cruise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks