What's new

Are live symphony performances to a movie available? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Near where I live there have been live symphony performances that play along with the film being shown, a example would be the Harry Potter Movies, or Star Wars: A New Hope. I have heard of silent films being shown the same way. I'm not worried about what city or orchestra performs, but is it part of some agreement with a studio that these are "in person" performances and no official recordings are to be made?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think the OP's question meant "are there recordings available of these live performances?"

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Thanks for the reply, yeah I was just wondering how these are handled. I plan on going to see a version of this to Frankenstein (1931) in October so it got me thinking of a possible home re-creation. :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
That, and you'd have the sound of the audience reaction.
That's actually pretty easy to engineer around with mic placement etc, but you'd still have your condenser mics getting pummeled by LFE whenever there was action :)

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
The Phillip Glass Ensemble's live recording of Koyaanisqatsi with the NY Philharmonic is the only one I can think of.
It's good to know at least one of these types are available, I'm wondering if either a split of profits between a studio and the orchestra isn't able to be done or if the studio thinks a recording would compete with official soundtrack profits. I guess it makes the performance a "In person" event this way.
For my area, tickets to watch Star Wars: A New Hope this way is 100.00 each, so there is money to go around.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The problem, as I see it, with recording such a performance is that you also have the film's dialog and sound effects recorded along with the live music. So that would open up a whole series of payments if it was released as a CD - the actors would all need to be compensated, as potentially would the writer, director, etc.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Our local symphony played to the film of The Wizard of Oz just recently. It was very well done, but it was an outdoor venue and the sound system was not the best unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks