What's new

The Day of the Jackal (1973)- coming from Arrow (US release) (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
US/CAN TITLE: The Day of the Jackal (Blu-ray)

A nail-biting cinematic experience and one of the greatest political thrillers of all time

Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: http://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/t...arrow-blu-ray/
Release date: 25 September

In 1971, Frederick Forsyth shot to bestseller status with his debut novel, The Day of the Jackal – taut, utterly plausible, almost documentarian in its realism and attention to detail. Two years later, director Fred Zinnemann (High Noon) turned a gripping novel into a nail-biting cinematic experience.

August 1962: the latest attempt on the life of French President Charles de Gaulle by the far right paramilitary organization, the OAS, ends in chaos, with its architect-in-chief dead at the hands of a firing squad. Demoralized and on the verge of bankruptcy, the OAS leaders meet in secret to plan their next move. In a last desperate attempt to eliminate de Gaulle, they opt to employ the services of a hired assassin from outside the fold. Enter the Jackal (Edward Fox, Ghandi): charismatic, calculating, cold as ice. As the Jackal closes in on his target, a race against the clock ensues to identify and put a stop to a killer whose identity, whereabouts and modus operandi are completely unknown.

Co-starring a plethora of talent, including Michael Lonsdale (Munich), Derek Jacobi (The Odessa File) and Cyril Cusack (1984) and featuring striking cinematography by Jean Tournier (Moonraker), The Day of the Jackal remains one of the greatest political thrillers of all time.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original uncompressed 1.0 mono audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• New interview with Neil Sinyard, author of Fred Zinnemann: Films of Character and Conscience
• Two rare archival clips from the film set, including an interview with Fred Zinnemann
• Theatrical trailer
• Original screenplay by Kenneth Ross (BD-ROM content)
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Paul Corupe

THE_DAY_OF_THE_JACKAL_FLAT_US.png

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This was my first Fred Zinneman film in a theater. Day-One purchase.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, I'm fine with the Region B disc, too. But I'd buy a Region A if they'd fix the rain-on-a-sunny-day error at the end of the film, one of those errors that once you see you can't unsee...anyway, great movie, save for the downpour.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I'm fine with the Region B disc, too. But I'd buy a Region A if they'd fix the rain-on-a-sunny-day error at the end of the film, one of those errors that once you see you can't unsee...anyway, great movie, save for the downpour.
Hell, I never even noticed it and I watched the film twice on BD.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Hell, I never even noticed it and I watched the film twice on BD.
It's one of those things I hadn't noticed, I didn't know it was there...until there it was, at a key moment. I'm shocked no one thought to reshoot it. The other errors the IMDb notes I never paid attention to.

RJGT

Agent
Real Name
Richard Todd
Amazon Canada finally has it available for pre-order and I'm counting down the day until it is released. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no no supply or delivery glitches like there was with The Apartment when it was released by Arrow last December. Last year's Shock Blu-ray of The Day of the Jackal was good but a little underwhelming (particularly after it to had supply problems and took a long time to ship from Australia and arrive in Canada) but this is one of the few movies I would gladly order a new and improved version whenever it was released. For a long time I wondered about my love for this movie because it wasn't available on Blu-ray and there seemed to be little call for it on the various forums. I'm glad it's finally getting the treatment it deserves.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazon Canada finally has it available for pre-order and I'm counting down the day until it is released. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no no supply or delivery glitches like there was with The Apartment when it was released by Arrow last December. Last year's Shock Blu-ray of The Day of the Jackal was good but a little underwhelming (particularly after it to had supply problems and took a long time to ship from Australia and arrive in Canada) but this is one of the few movies I would gladly order a new and improved version whenever it was released. For a long time I wondered about my love for this movie because it wasn't available on Blu-ray and there seemed to be little call for it on the various forums. I'm glad it's finally getting the treatment it deserves.

As, so far, you are the only person owning both the Australian and the Arrow disc, please let us know how they compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks