What's new

Has Herbert Ross been forgotten on bluray? (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Yes---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN-----GOODBYE MR CHIPS-----PLAY IT AGAIN SAM ------THE TURNING POINT-----SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981) is a depression-era sort-of musical (in which the actors lip-sync to songs of the day) that contains some of the greatest choreography since Busby Berkeley....really rousing and beautifully staged and edited. Toward the end it bogs down and looses its stunning momentum (and becomes very dark indeed), but this film did not deserve its poor box office.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981) is a depression-era sort-of musical (in which the actors lip-sync to songs of the day) that contains some of the greatest choreography since Busby Berkeley....really rousing and beautifully staged and edited. Toward the end it bogs down and looses its stunning momentum (and becomes very dark indeed), but this film did not deserve its poor box office.
Because musicals had fallen out of favor at the time, MGM didn't have faith in this truly original creation, and I don't remember much in the way of support for the movie (seems like I remember Siskel and Ebert both liking it). Yes, its darkness probably didn't help it, but even on DVD, the musical numbers are incredibly beautiful to watch.

Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Toward the end it bogs down and looses its stunning momentum (and becomes very dark indeed), but this film did not deserve its poor box office.

It's a clear case of audience expectations not matching reality. It was a musical starring Steve Martin (in his FIRST serious role that couldn't have been more different from THE JERK if it TRIED!) and Bernadette Peters that was sold in TV ads as a lush, 1930's homage with those Busby Berkely musical numbers front and center. Audiences were bewildered, to say the least.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I really like Play It Again, Sam, one of the funniest movies with Woody Allen.
It would be great if it finally turned up on Blu-ray.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Both versions of Goodbye, Mr. Chips are in sore need for release.
Loved Pennies from Heaven since its initial release. Brilliant and original.
"Play It Again, Sam" marked the historic first time pairing of Woody Allen and Diane Keaton.
"California Suite" marks the second Oscar for Maggie Smith; but the gold is in watching Walter Matthau.
The Turning Point? Just a paltry 11 Oscar nominations in the year of "Annie Hall","Star Wars", "Julia" and "The Goodbye Girl".

All would be purchases from me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN-----GOODBYE MR CHIPS-----PLAY IT AGAIN SAM ------THE TURNING POINT-----SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION.

If you haven't already realized, most of these titles are available in HD digital...

PLAY IT AGAIN SAM is in HD for $4.99 today, and often drops back to that price point. PENNIES FROM HEAVEN is $6.99 as of this post. GOODBYE MR. CHIPS is $9.99 on digital

Really want “The Owl and the Pussycat” as well. Sigh.

Owl and The Pussycat is this year on digital HD. March 3rd, to be exact.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
If you haven't already realized, most of these titles are available in HD digital...

PLAY IT AGAIN SAM is in HD for $4.99 today, and often drops back to that price point. PENNIES FROM HEAVEN is $6.99 as of this post. GOODBYE MR. CHIPS is $9.99 on digital

Yes Thanks. I bought PLAY IT AGAIN SAM----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----and GOODBYE MR CHIPS from Comcast.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My favourite of his is 'The Last of Sheila' scripted by Stephen Sondheim and Tony Perkins.
Wonderful comic thriller with a standout act from James Mason, and desperately needed on Blu ray .. if only to correct, hopefully, the muddy soundtrack.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

Makes no difference for those of us without hard-wired cable and depending on Verizon Wireless for internet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Makes no difference for those of us without hard-wired cable and depending on Verizon Wireless for internet.

Hogwash! You can absolutely stream with WiFi. I would not recommend it for 4k, but HD releases work great under streaming conditions.

"The best Internet speed for HD streaming is 5Mbps, and if you go all the way up to 4K streaming, or ultra HD, your bandwidth should start at 25Mbps." (go.frontier.com)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Hogwash! You can absolutely stream with WiFi. I would not recommend it for 4k, but HD releases work great under streaming conditions.

"The best Internet speed for HD streaming is 5Mbps, and if you go all the way up to 4K streaming, or ultra HD, your bandwidth should start at 25Mbps." (go.frontier.com)

Then the hogs must be real clean. I speak from experience. With HD I spend lots of time with the revolving circle as Windows buffers. Not to mention that Verizon Wireless is metered and that's lots of data usage. Even unlimited puts on the brakes barely halfway through the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks