What's new

Center channel problem with Marantz SR7007 (1 Viewer)

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Hello distinguished associates! I'm having a strange issue with my Marantz SR7007 receiver and that is the center channel volume level is suddenly greatly reduced, almost to the point where the dialog is hard to hear and I can't figure out why, other than perhaps that amp channel is going bad or some problem in the processor is having an effect. I have not made any adjustments in the menu so I thought perhaps that one of you may have had this same issue. I would appreciate any help or advice. thanks!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Place another speaker on the same wires. If it sounds normal then the problem is the speaker, most likely a blown tweeter.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I think the speaker is fine and I found a way to increase center channel level using the "dialog level adjustment" in the menu. Default setting is "0" db, and it has a range of 0 to 12 db. I set it about +6 db. Sounded as good as new. This is just a temporary fix, though, and I think there is still something wrong, perhaps amp or processor. I'm calling Marantz tech support tomorrow. The closest official servicer is Audio Mart in Overland Park, Kansas. I'm really dreading having to unhook everything and ship it to them. What an ordeal!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ideally you would leave the dialog level adjustment at 0 and increase the level of the center speaker in the speaker setup by 6dB. But in the end, the result is the same.

williammoore

Agent
Real Name
William Moore
Is there any advantage of doing one over the other? Also, one tech I spoke with suggested I do a reset on the receiver and then re-run Audyssey, but I'm not sure I want to go thru all that again. If you have ever set up one of these receivers, it's not exactly a "walk in the park." My question is whether the problem is with the center amp channel or in the processor, but I figure it will eventually "crap out" which would then be easier to troubleshoot. Another issue is that most, if not all, of these servicers are at least 2 to 3 weeks behind at best. I wouldn't call that a "win-win." One other item I read in the manual is that it says if one manually adjusts any of the speaker settings that Audyssey won't work properly. Not sure how to interpret that.
"

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only advantage of adjusting it in the speaker setup (you don't have to run Audyssey) is because it's technically the correct way to set it up. Setting the speaker levels incorrectly, then correcting it with the dialog adjustment can just be a little confusing. The result is the same.

Are you certain nothing changed that caused that change in level? You didn't put in a different center channel speaker?

One simple thing to do is turn off the receiver, then disconnect the power for a few minutes, then plug it back in. No harm if it makes no difference, but sometimes that corrects things, and you don't have to re-configure anything.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll mention it because it happened to me once: I was dusting my HT rack (which houses my center channel). And when I pulled the center channel out a bit to thoroughly dust it, I loosened one of the speaker wires inadvertently which made things rather wonky.

Stupid stuff like that can happen.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I'll mention it because it happened to me once: I was dusting my HT rack (which houses my center channel). And when I pulled the center channel out a bit to thoroughly dust it, I loosened one of the speaker wires inadvertently which made things rather wonky.

Stupid stuff like that can happen.
I unplugged and re-plugged the center channel speaker, which has banana plugs BTW, at both the receiver and speaker end, just to make sure it wasn't a cable problem. Same center spkr since I bought this receiver in 2013. I'll try that "unplug reboot" and see if that makes any difference.
One serviceman I spoke with suggested that I do a "reset" which puts all settings back at their default settings, but what about just doing a new Audyssey calibration just to see if that takes care of the problem instead of "going back to square one" by resetting the whole receiver. I would be willing to do that.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I unplugged and re-plugged the center channel speaker, which has banana plugs BTW, at both the receiver and speaker end, just to make sure it wasn't a cable problem. Same center spkr since I bought this receiver in 2013. I'll try that "unplug reboot" and see if that makes any difference.
One serviceman I spoke with suggested that I do a "reset" which puts all settings back at their default settings, but what about just doing a new Audyssey calibration just to see if that takes care of the problem instead of "going back to square one" by resetting the whole receiver. I would be willing to do that.
Well, what do you know. I did the AC reset, by unplugging my Marantz for about 20 minutes and then reconnecting. Went to the speaker settings and "voila" the center channel was back, so I lowered the volume back to where Audyssey had set it and everything was back to normal. Yahoo! And thanks to you guys for the help and advice!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kudos to John Rice!

Another satisfied customer!

satisfaction_guaranteed-auto-body-shop.gif

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LOL!

I can't tell you how many weird things have been fixed by simply disconnecting the power.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Now that my jubilation has worn off, I'm trying to figure out what I might have done, assuming it was my fault, to have caused the reduction in center channel volume. I keep staring at my remote trying to figure this out, but any adjustments to channel volume have to be a deliberate action by going into the settings menu. Any ideas? Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Stuff like that just happens sometimes. The logic of the receiver gets stuck on something. It probably won’t happen again.

Jmcntoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Juan Cantu
Now that my jubilation has worn off, I'm trying to figure out what I might have done, assuming it was my fault, to have caused the reduction in center channel volume. I keep staring at my remote trying to figure this out, but any adjustments to channel volume have to be a deliberate action by going into the settings menu. Any ideas? Thanks!
I have the same problem with my SR7011. It often requires a full reset to get the center channel back. Did you find anything else out on this issue? At this point, I'd never buy a Marantz receiver again with all the problems this one has had as I can't watch a single movie without losing the center channel. I've had it in to be serviced twice and after a reset it always tests fine so nothing gets fixed.

teisun

Auditioning
Real Name
Torben
I have the same problem with my SR7011. It often requires a full reset to get the center channel back. Did you find anything else out on this issue? At this point, I'd never buy a Marantz receiver again with all the problems this one has had as I can't watch a single movie without losing the center channel. I've had it in to be serviced twice and after a reset it always tests fine so nothing gets fixed.
Had to create an account just to chime in.
My SR7011 also has this issue with the center channel, it started to appear shortly after the warranty period was over.
Resetting and trying all sorts of "fixes" works for an undefined amount of time.
TBH I came to a point where I gave up and simply unplugged the receiver, now I live with shitty sound from the TV and a bunch of speakers just sitting there, reminding me of a bad investment.

Claudiob1

Auditioning
Real Name
Claudio Burgos
Had to create an account just to chime in.
My SR7011 also has this issue with the center channel, it started to appear shortly after the warranty period was over.
Resetting and trying all sorts of "fixes" works for an undefined amount of time.
TBH I came to a point where I gave up and simply unplugged the receiver, now I live with shitty sound from the TV and a bunch of speakers just sitting there, reminding me of a bad investment.
Well, it's 2024 and I’m hanging on to my Marantz 7200, with an optical out from the LG TV and into the Marrantz allowing me to enjoy still today’s 5.1 surround sound. But I too just now started having the center channel going out randomly. I did the power off, wait and on and that did fix it! But while watching a movie it went out again about 30 mins in. What's causing it? I can't see the set screen as I’m not using any s-video or rca connectors. I just never touched them since the first time I ever set them and upgraded the tv. Any suggestions or is it time to replace the receiver? I have it connected to a satellite Polk 7500 speaker system and still
Sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks