What's new

Speaker Placement help- 2/3 rows of seating (1 Viewer)

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
Hi all,
We are building a new house and this is our second home theater. My first one I did myself as a newbie so I'm still learning. I will be wiring in all the speaker wire in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering how I should be placing my speakers. We have 2 rows of seating with another potential for seating at the counter. The first row drops down about 13 inches from the 2 back rows. What do I all need for speaker and where should I place them? Do I need ceiling speakers? Thank you so much for your help!!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Emmi,

Your image didn't come through, so could you perhaps re-upload it?

I would recommend wiring in the ceiling for atmos (4 channels), as well as 7.2.

The left and right surrounds should ideally be aligned with the primary listening position (PLP) or main row, which is generally the middle one. Try to pick a surround speaker with good dispersion for best performance in the front and back rows.

Here's a nice image showing the overhead speakers as round:

upload_2018-6-25_14-54-56.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A comment on the diagram Dave posted above. Lately I find they often show the surround speakers on stands, when they really should be mounted to a wall, if possible, at ear level or higher. You want as much room between you and the surround speakers as possible.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
A comment on the diagram Dave posted above. Lately I find they often show the surround speakers on stands, when they really should be mounted to a wall, if possible, at ear level or higher. You want as much room between you and the surround speakers as possible.
This is correct... but with Atmos you need to actually have the bed channels (back and side surrounds) lower down for optimal pans, so you should actually mount them at ear level rather than higher, if at all possible.

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
That's weird my image didn't come through- it's showing up on my end. Ill try uploading.

I did read over the Dolby 7.1.4 layout and that seems like it would be the best option. So do all the front, side and back speakers go at ear level? I assume the ceiling ones are just flat or are those supposed to be angled somehow?
Any recommendations of a good speaker system?

theater.PNG

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The tweeter on each speaker should be at average ear level, usually your main listening position.

The atmos speakers are generally mounted flat, but if your room is very long, it might be better to get slightly angled drivers so that you can "point" them at the seating position.

Do you have a budget for your speaker system? Are you okay with floorstanding speakers, or do they need to be in/on-wall?

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
The tweeter on each speaker should be at average ear level, usually your main listening position.

The atmos speakers are generally mounted flat, but if your room is very long, it might be better to get slightly angled drivers so that you can "point" them at the seating position.

Do you have a budget for your speaker system? Are you okay with floorstanding speakers, or do they need to be in/on-wall?
I'd prefer wall speakers. No budget really but this house is costing alot of money so I'd prefer to get something less expensive but still decent. I can upgrade in the future. I don't need anything super fancy. Last house we had a Denon receiver with Boston speakers and that was great.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you say wall speakers, would bookshelf speakers on small shelves be OK? You can have a small shelves just for each speaker. People tend to think in-wall, but that's actually a lot more destructive and limited than shelves. Plus you have very little to choose from in speakers. I'm thinking you're a candidate for ELAC Debut 6.2s and a good sub. Maybe those new RSL in-ceiling for Atmos.

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
When you say wall speakers, would bookshelf speakers on small shelves be OK? You can have a small shelves just for each speaker. People tend to think in-wall, but that's actually a lot more destructive and limited than shelves. Plus you have very little to choose from in speakers. I'm thinking you're a candidate for ELAC Debut 6.2s and a good sub. Maybe those new RSL in-ceiling for Atmos.
Yes, I'd prefer to have them on a shelf on the wall with the wires coming out of the wall or them on some sort of bracket- that's what we did at our old house

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks