What's new

I Don’t Get Marlene Dietrich As a Singer (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, she’s a good actress, but not one of my favorites. She is in two of my favorite movies, No Highway in the Sky, and Witness for the Prosecution. I have never understood the appeal that her singing apparently has for many. I do thank her for inspiring Madeline Kahn’s portrayal of Lili Von Shtupp in Blazing Saddles.

This is not new for me. Growing up in the 50’s I thought, people pay to hear this? It leaves me cold. What’s wrong with me? ;)

BTW, I thought the appropriate place for this was in Movies, but apparently if you aren’t attaching the thread to a specific movie, you can’t.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's nothing wrong with you, she's just not your personal taste. There are a lot of famous/popular singers past and present whose appeal baffles me, while people I think are amazing largely toil in obscurity.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Her singing doesn't quite click with me either, but there's a fair amount of torch-type recordings in that same vein that I've always liked, such as Greta Keller's "Blues in My Heart" (1931-?) or Belle Baker's "That's How I Feel About You" (1928). Those remind me a bit of Dietrich's style, but somehow work better for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nope. Don’t know her. Apparently she did something for Fight Club, which might be familiar if I rewatched. But I’m not really into 1930s - 1950s movies, which seems to be her era.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Nope. Don’t know her. Apparently she did something for Fight Club, which might be familiar if I rewatched. But I’m not really into 1930s - 1950s movies, which seems to be her era.
I assume you're one of our younger moderators? :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
She had her moments.;)

021-marlene-dietrich-theredlist.jpg

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Except for Marvel and Star Wars movies 1930-1950 is almost my exclusive era of movie watching!

Try a Hitchcock movie with her in it if you prefer. She is one of the stars of his Stage Fright.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't think I can agree with that sentiment:

I like that more than anything else I’ve heard her sing, I think for two reasons: 1) It’s a familiar song (Where Have All the Flowers Gone) and she packs it with emotion; and 2) She usually has a lot of, is the word tremulo, in her singing. Not so here.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well Johnny, I suspect perhaps it's not Dietrich you don't get, but rather the art of cabaret singing. Cabaret wasn't about vocal ability but allure and style. I just watched Morocco and was mesmerized by her. Can't wait to get to the other titles in the Dietrich/Von Sternberg box.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As for Madeline Kahn, that Lily Von Shtupp voice was just a put-on. This was her real singing voice:

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
My mom loved Marlene, and played a live album of hers often (the one with Burt Bacharach, I think).
I still have not seen the movie she did with David Bowie (her last role, albeit a small one):

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks