What's new

Yamaha CX-A5000 audio dropouts (1 Viewer)

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
I just started experiencing audio dropouts on my CX-A5000. It seems to happen only through HDMI, particularly with HD surround formats, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. The unit has no trouble with standard Dolby Digital or DTS formats, only the HD versions. The unit behaves as if it's not being given any audio to decode and the display reads Processor Off (which usually indicates no signal). I'm using an Oppo 103D Blu Ray player. Sometimes it will kick in and play the audio for a few minutes, other times it's just for a fraction of a second. If I switch sources on the 5000 and come back to the Blu Ray, it usually drops the signal again.

I've noticed when I switch the player's output away from Bitstream, then go back to Bitstream, the preamp will usually pick up on it and start decoding again. That sounds like some sort of handshake issue, but why would I be getting that only now? I've had the preamp and Blu Ray player for 3 years now with zero problems until the other day.

I've tried changing the HDMI cable with no luck. I've tried using several different HDMI ports on the 5000, no luck.

Can you guys give me any advice?

batman144144

Agent
Real Name
Big Tim
Okay, so I spoke to a user on another forum and he recommended that I reinitialize the unit to factory settings. After doing this several times, it seemed to help. I was able to decode the lossless codecs again such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. It was fine for a week or so then it started to drop out again. Since then, the unit will decode these on a random, touch and go basis. Sometimes it works; sometimes it does not. It will work for a couple days, then randomly stop. My only not-so-good solution is to decode the audio over optical cable, which can only carry the core DTS or Dolby Digital, i.e., lossy, signal. The unit will decode lossy codecs all the time without any issues. It's really disappointing since I've only had this unit about 5 years and I really don't want to spend the money to buy another. They're not exactly cheap, even if I were to settle for a used one. The only other option is letting the player decode the audio then pass the signal via RCA analogue multi-channel to the receiver, but I'd rather just go the route I have with the optical cable.

Anyone that might have another solution I would be happy to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks