What's new

WAC releasing The Naked and the Dead on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
THE NAKED AND THE DEAD (1958)
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 131:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
16 X 9 LETTERBOX, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
COLOR
BD 50
Special Features: Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Norman Mailer’s classic comes to the big screen courtesy of director Raoul Walsh (Objective, Burma!; High Sierra) and an ensemble of seasoned actors and fresh-faced up-and-comers. Raymond Massey and Cliff Robertson play officers whose opposing views on military leadership are the two poles between which a platoon’s fate is stretched during the war of the Pacific. Massey’s Gen. Cummings advocates fear as the guide to goading men to face death, whereas Robertson’s Lt. Hearn vehemently disagrees. Hearn is hard-pressed, however, to find the better nature within the sadistic Sgt. Croft (Aldo Ray), whose own wartime ethos seems to be pure hatred. Pounded inside this crucible are the men of the platoon: pals Roth (Joey Bishop) and Goldstein (Jerry Paris), scout Martinez (Henry Amargo), medic Rhidges (James Best), older vet Red (Robert Gist), Southerner Cpl. Wilson (L.Q. Jones), nerve-case Minetta (Greg Roman) and new father Gallagher (Richard Jaeckel).

View attachment 47928

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This had problematic elements which prevented a DVD release for years according to WAC so hopefully this looks great. I'm definitely getting it. This is a great month of WAC announcements for me. I want 3 out of 4.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This had problematic elements which prevented a DVD release for years according to WAC so hopefully this looks great. I'm definitely getting it. This is a great month of WAC announcements for me. I want 3 out of 4.

Yup, 3 out of 4 for me too. I've put this on a few Warner wants lists. I first saw it way back in the sixties on TV, & the scene that stayed with me is where the soldier gets bitten by the snake, froths at the mouth & dies. The last time I saw it was on a obscure TV channel, it was pan & scan & very green, so looking forward to seeing this. Great Bernard Herrmann score as well.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Wasn't there an HTF member who posted quite often that he wanted The Naked and the Dead released? Seems like he was one of those who always used lower-case letters in his posts.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there an HTF member who posted quite often that he wanted The Naked and the Dead released? Seems like he was one of those who always used lower-case letters in his posts.
Yes his name slips my mind right now but I haven't seen him post in quite awhile. He seemed to only have interest in War films. Hopefully he is ok and he has a blu ray player because he was always asking Warner Archive to release it on DVD since this has never had a DVD release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Added HTF Pre-order Link to the first post and this one in the thread.

View attachment 47928

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
Yes his name slips my mind right now but I haven't seen him post in quite awhile. He seemed to only have interest in War films. Hopefully he is ok and he has a blu ray player because he was always asking Warner Archive to release it on DVD since this has never had a DVD release.

i am okay. thanks for asking. real life has thrown me quite a few curve balls.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I received this about a week age & I haven't had a chance to look at it yet (& it'll probably be a few weeks as I'm away from home for a bit soon), Anyway I did zoom through it, not knowing what to expect, &...the dupes look like dupes (big grain & a bit soft), that's stock shots & dissolves (from what I saw they've dupes the whole shot either side of a dissolve) & there's not a lot that Warner can do about that, but the rest of it (nearly all of it) looks really nice, I was pleasantly surprised. The last time I saw it was in the early sixties, 4x3 b/w on our little telly, so this will be a Saturday night movie next month

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've now watched and find I rather like it. The competitive nature of the Aldo Ray and the Cliff Robertson characters, which really doesn't develop until half-way in, is pretty compelling. A little preach on occasion, and those flashbacks are annoying and unnecessary. But, still, pretty decent.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Just watched this for the 1st a week ago. I thought it was a good movie and a very good looking blu ray other than the unavoidable process shots.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think this may be the only 2.35:1 RKO color film I own, and the studio logo is unique to this title, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks