What's new

WAC: Releasing The Last Hunt on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
THE LAST HUNT (1956)
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 103:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 STEREO- English
16 X 9 LETTERBOX, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
COLOR
BD 50
Special Features: Theatrical Trailer (HD); Two vintage excerpts from the “MGM PARADE” TV series promoting THE LAST HUNT (SD)

Robert Taylor (Quo Vadis) and Stewart Granger (The Prisoner of Zenda) team up in this “grim, fierce, raw-boned outdoor fare” (Variety) filmed on location in rugged Custer State Park, North Dakota. Charlie Gilson (Taylor), a mean-spirited hunter, joins reserved Sandy McKenzie (Granger) on a great government-sanctioned buffalo hunt that will keep the buffalo population under control and make the men rich. Joining them are Woodfoot, an old, one-legged skinner (Lloyd Nolan), and Jimmy (Russ Tamblyn), a half-Indian boy. But trouble begins to break the team apart when Charlie kills a group of Indians whom he accuses of stealing his horses. Charlie’s subsequent mistreatment of the lone survivors – an Indian woman and her child – forces Sandy to realize that his partner is consumed with hate...and that he enjoys killing more than just buffalo. “Raw, real and rugged” (L.A. Examiner), The Last Hunt is so intense and powerful that its stark images will stay with you long after the film ends.

View attachment 47927

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Love the pairing of Taylor and Granger in this. Two underrated actors imho that were both big stars in the 50's. Another WAC purchase for me.
I thought Robert Taylor was a much better actor than given credit for. Many of his films are favorites of mine.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that.

Anne Bancroft apparently worked on the film for two weeks before she fell off a horse and the injury was serious enough that they had to replace her. Bancroft was getting pretty fed up with these kinds of roles anyway and a couple of years later walked out of Hollywood and headed for the New York stage. To say that was a career changer is an understatement.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I thought Robert Taylor was a much better actor than given credit for. Many of his films are favorites of mine.
My own personal theory on why some actors like Robert Taylor and Stewart Granger who were big starts in their day are largely forgotten now while others like Clark Gable, John Wayne, Cary Grant etc are so well known is tv exposure of their films over the years. Growing up in the 70's I never saw a Stewart Granger or Robert Taylor film on tv. I'm sure they were occasionally shown but they were rare while the other stars I mentioned John Wayne, Clark Gable, Cary Grant and many others had their films on tv daily. I didn't discover Granger and Taylor until the 80's collecting their films on VHS and Laserdisc. Both became favorites of mine since that time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My own personal theory on why some actors like Robert Taylor and Stewart Granger who were big starts in their day are largely forgotten now while others like Clark Gable, John Wayne, Cary Grant etc are so well known is tv exposure of their films over the years. Growing up in the 70's I never saw a Stewart Granger or Robert Taylor film on tv. I'm sure they were occasionally shown but they were rare while the other stars I mentioned John Wayne, Clark Gable, Cary Grant and many others had their films on tv daily. I didn't discover Granger and Taylor until the 80's collecting their films on VHS and Laserdisc. Both became favorites of mine since that time.
I don't know about Taylor as many of his films were on TV quite often back then. At least in the NYC Metro area.

Quo Vadis
Johnny Eager
Bataan
Westward the Women
Waterloo Bridge
A Yank at Oxford
Ivanhoe

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robert Taylor was one of those actors who improved (as an actor) with age. In the 1930s and through most of the 1940s, he was movie star handsome and you can see why he was a heart throb but he wasn't very interesting as an actor. In movies like Camille, Magnificent Obsession, Broadway Melody Of 1938, Waterloo Bridge, Lady Of The Tropics, When Ladies Meet, Undercurrent etc., it was his leading ladies (Greta Garbo, Irene Dunne, Eleanor Powell, Vivien Leigh, Hedy Lamarr, Joan Crawford, Katharine Hepburn) you remembered not him. Starting with The Bribe in 1949, he seemed to have settled in his own skin and giving some fine performances in movies like The Last Hunt, Ivanhoe, Devil's Doorway, Law And Jake Wade, Party Girl etc.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Although Taylor and Granger made some good films, none of them are as iconic as the best from Gable, Wayne, and Grant.
Define iconic.

If you mean being a prime representation of a particular genre, I'd say Scaramouche is the iconic swashbuckler, and the final duel in the theatre is the iconic sword fight.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Define iconic.

If you mean being a prime representation of a particular genre, I'd say Scaramouche is the iconic swashbuckler, and the final duel in the theatre is the iconic sword fight.
No offense to Scaramouche as it's a fine film, but I'm not so sure about that while the sword fights between Flynn and Rathbone in "Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Captain Blood" are without a doubt iconic sword fights. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent sword fight, but I don't think it's iconic like the two I referenced here. By the way, Rathbone was the man, when it comes to using a sword in movies.

adventures-of-robin-hood-5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
...& of course there's the swordfight in The Sea Hawk, but I think Scaramouche's swordfight is the longest (unless it's been superseded), & it's a great fight. Scaramouche would be the top of my swashbuckler picks, & apart from Flynny, I'd love the Robert Taylor ones as well (all Warner).

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
THE LAST HUNT (1956)
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 103:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 STEREO- English
16 X 9 LETTERBOX, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1
COLOR
BD 50
Special Features: Theatrical Trailer (HD); Two vintage excerpts from the “MGM PARADE” TV series promoting THE LAST HUNT (SD)

Robert Taylor (Quo Vadis) and Stewart Granger (The Prisoner of Zenda) team up in this “grim, fierce, raw-boned outdoor fare” (Variety) filmed on location in rugged Custer State Park, North Dakota. Charlie Gilson (Taylor), a mean-spirited hunter, joins reserved Sandy McKenzie (Granger) on a great government-sanctioned buffalo hunt that will keep the buffalo population under control and make the men rich. Joining them are Woodfoot, an old, one-legged skinner (Lloyd Nolan), and Jimmy (Russ Tamblyn), a half-Indian boy. But trouble begins to break the team apart when Charlie kills a group of Indians whom he accuses of stealing his horses. Charlie’s subsequent mistreatment of the lone survivors – an Indian woman and her child – forces Sandy to realize that his partner is consumed with hate...and that he enjoys killing more than just buffalo. “Raw, real and rugged” (L.A. Examiner), The Last Hunt is so intense and powerful that its stark images will stay with you long after the film ends.

Never seen this movie so shall order it ..... recent releases and announcements by WA have been really good and plenty of them..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Added HTF pre-order link to the first post and this one.

View attachment 47927

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks