Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Overlord (2018)

Genre: Action, Horror, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Julius Avery

Cast: Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Mathilde Ollivier, Pilou Asbæk, John Magaro, Iain De Caestecker, Jacob Anderson, Dominic Applewhite, Gianny Taufer, Joseph Quinn, Bokeem Woodbine, Erich Redman, Mark McKenna, Hayley Carmachiel, Marc Rissmann, Meg Foster, Sarah Finigan, Gunther Wurger, Bart Lambert, Michael Epp, Tom Mothersdale, Ross Tomlinson, Alison Thea-Skot, Ben Tavassoli, Shubham Saraf, Andy Wareham, Nick Roeten, Patrick Brammall

Release: 2018-10-25

Plot: On the eve of D-Day, a group of American paratroopers is dropped behind enemy lines to carry out a mission crucial to the invasion’s success. But as they approach their target, they begin to realize there is more going on in this Nazi-occupied village than a simple military operation.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The impression I got from watching the trailer is that it could go either way- decent or a rehash of tired tropes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It has opened. I'll try to see it next week as we're getting hit with our first snowfall and since I'm retired, I don't have to deal with it today so I'm staying inside today and just watch some discs.:)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll be interested to hear if there's anything more to this than a standard virus/zombie film set in WWII.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm going to see it Sunday. Looking forward to hearing what others think.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be interested to hear if there's anything more to this than a standard virus/zombie film set in WWII.
Yeah, I'm not into Zombie movies or TV shows, but I want to see this, but I might change my mind if some people like Sam or Tino express negativity towards this film.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Top 5 war movie
Top 3 horror movie
Best use of IMAX I've ever seen and heard
Wyatt Russell continues his meteoric rise

So yeah, I liked it. Day one disk purchase no doubt

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Trashy mashup of horror and Sci Fi. Has some of the flaws that most JJ Abrams productions have for me, but I give it a more or less solid "B". Sound was impressive at the Cinemark theater I was at for this movie. Liked the retro title and Paramount logo at the start.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Nothing about "Overlord" stands out as especially fresh or creative, but I didn't mind. It provided enough action excitement that its various cliches don't become an issue.

And it's not like the movie isn't aware of its cliches - it clearly uses some of them intentionally. Just look at the cast of soldiers - outside of the way it mixes in black soldiers, its GIs could come out of any older WWII movie. I half expected the streetwise Tibbet to be named "Brooklyn" - don't WWII movies always have a character named "Brooklyn"? :D

It's a clever twist that the film proceeds as a standard WWII "mission" story for so long before we learn the truth of what the Germans do beneath the church. Of course, we get some hints via Chloe's "sick" aunt - and anyone who saw the trailer knows about the secret to be revealed - but I still like the slow build.

Once the "secret" comes to light, the movie lifts into overdrive. It works fine before that point, but I must admit I began to get a little impatient to dig into the more supernatural elements. We know they're coming so it can get a little tough to wait.

Intellectually, though, I like the choice to draw out the big reveal, as it lends that sequence more impact, and the film takes so many crazy twists during its last act that any potential flaws earn forgiveness.

"Overlord" delivers just the kind of wild "B"-movie action it promises, and it makes for a fun time if you can withstand the ample gore...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I saw "Overlord" Dolby Cinema and good God, was it loud!

Not the loudest I've heard, but just short of the level where I needed to wear earplugs. I've seen maybe 5 movies ever that were "earplug loud", and this one ALMOST got there....

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. The opening sequence was LOUD. My only wish is that they had spent more time on the undead. I'd still recommend it as it was well done.

BTW, Wyatt Russell's resemblance to his father, both in looks and voice, is uncanny.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, I'm not into Zombie movies or TV shows, but I want to see this, but I might change my mind if some people like Sam or Tino express negativity towards this film.
Just saw it. Tons of fun.

Best WW II Horror Movie ever. :D

Seriously it was a really good genre film. More of a WWII action film with a supernatural vibe than anything else.

BTW is is NOT a
ZOMBIE
film.

Ymmmv Crawdaddy. But I liked it a lot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just saw it. Tons of fun.

Best WW II Horror Movie ever. :D

Seriously it was a really good genre film. More of a WWII action film with a supernatural vibe than anything else.

BTW is is NOT a
ZOMBIE
film.

Ymmmv Crawdaddy. But I liked it a lot.
I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member