What's new

Pre-Order Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
190788_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have zero information, but I'd be guessing a September 11, 2018 release. Two previously released Batman animated films (Killing Joke and Assault on Arkham) are being released on that day in 4k. It could be completely wrong, but with Death of Superman coming at the end of August, there's no good reason not to cross-promote all of these Batman titles at the same time.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have zero information, but I'd be guessing a September 11, 2018 release. Two previously released Batman animated films (Killing Joke and Assault on Arkham) are being released on that day in 4k. It could be completely wrong, but with Death of Superman coming at the end of August, there's no good reason not to cross-promote all of these Batman titles at the same time.

One thing I’d be concerned about with TAS being released on 9/11 is the the opening title sequence opens with a building (that happens to be a bank) exploding.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is one I'm extremely excited for, but also one I'm going to have to wait for reviews on before pulling the trigger. Warner Bros. did a really solid job on Mask of the Phantasm, but that already had a high definition source in fairly good shape, and the animation was designed to be watched on a 40-foot screen.

While the source elements exist to make a high-definition version of "Batman: The Animated Series", it was designed to be seen on 27-inch standard definition CRT screens. As such, it would have taken a lot more work to create high def versions, and there would have been decisions to be made with no easy answers. I want to know how all of that turned out before I fork over my money.

I am pleased that they're releasing the whole thing at once rather than making us buy it in overpriced installments.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This is one I'm extremely excited for, but also one I'm going to have to wait for reviews on before pulling the trigger. Warner Bros. did a really solid job on Mask of the Phantasm, but that already had a high definition source in fairly good shape, and the animation was designed to be watched on a 40-foot screen.

While the source elements exist to make a high-definition version of "Batman: The Animated Series", it was designed to be seen on 27-inch standard definition CRT screens. As such, it would have taken a lot more work to create high def versions, and there would have been decisions to be made with no easy answers. I want to know how all of that turned out before I fork over my money.

I am pleased that they're releasing the whole thing at once rather than making us buy it in overpriced installments.

All the animation for Batman: TAS was completed on 35mm before being transfered to Betacam SP for broadcast. Going back to those original reels should yeild a noticable improvement.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't believe the MSRP is only $112 so it'll probably cost about $80 or so. I figured the MSRP would be at least $200.

If $113 is actually the MSRP then BN 40% off Xmas week sale should make for a very nice deal if sales and coupons work like normal. I never really trust Amazon prices to reflect MSRP even at the beginning.
I certainly would like to see a couple other sites list it before making that price point official

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
All the animation for Batman: TAS was completed on 35mm before being transfered to Betacam SP for broadcast. Going back to those original reels should yeild a noticable improvement.
That's what I meant by "the source elements exist to make a high-definition version". But there were a lot of flaws that weren't problematic at 480i but would be problematic at 1080p. I'm curious about how aggressive Warner Bros. was in addressing those flaws.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
If $113 is actually the MSRP then BN 40% off Xmas week sale should make for a very nice deal if sales and coupons work like normal. I never really trust Amazon prices to reflect MSRP even at the beginning.
I certainly would like to see a couple other sites list it before making that price point official

Amazon does not list prices at MSRP unless they actually sell an item for that price. Their regular price is the highest price Amazon has charged for an item over a certain period. Not sure exactly how it works . If a price has been lower for a while then that price becomes the regular selling price and any discounts are from that price. I doubt this was Amazon's idea. Obviously prices would look better if the discount percent was from MSRP and not a lower price. If a sale price is 40% off the MSRP but Amazon never sold the item for the MSRP that is not really a 40% discount on their regular price. Check Barnes and Noble for a better idea of the MSRP when they put it on their website.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
T
Amazon does not list prices at MSRP unless they actually sell an item for that price. Their regular price is the highest price Amazon has charged for an item over a certain period. Not sure exactly how it works . If a price has been lower for a while then that price becomes the regular selling price and any discounts are from that price. I doubt this was Amazon's idea. Obviously prices would look better if the discount percent was from MSRP and not a lower price. If a sale price is 40% off the MSRP but Amazon never sold the item for the MSRP that is not really a 40% discount on their regular price. Check Barnes and Noble for a better idea of the MSRP when they put in on their website.

That's what I meant - if it's the MSRP which a lot of folks on many boards seem to be assuming. So many were posting it as a given that I was wondering if there was some sort of official paper at ComicCon that listed the actual MSRP? . Amazon does occasionally list a brand new item at MSRP then a few days later drop to a normal Preorder price, but that's not their normal procedure anymore. I forget why that stopped listing the MSRP in their listing, but I think it was to make it harder for other sites to track their pricing patterns. I also know some other countries have laws that forbid the artificial MSRP style pricing and require an item to carry something more akin to Regular Retail Price which tends to be the highest price most retailers actually sell an item.

That's the main reason I interested in other sites like DD or BN putting their listing up. Like a lot of posts state their surprise at the price, I'm highly skeptical that the real MSRP and I'm expecting something closer to at least $150 and $200 wouldn't shock me at all though that would make an Amazon opening price of nearly 45% off seems a bit extreme given their recent hesitancy to set a really aggressive line in the sand

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
One thing I’d be concerned about with TAS being released on 9/11 is the the opening title sequence opens with a building (that happens to be a bank) exploding.

I am 100% not making light of history, but if September 11 is the release day, I don't know if anyone would make that connection or think it was important enough. Like I said, two other Batman films are coming out in 4k on 9/11. That can't be coincidence.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
October 16 appears to be the date. Batman: TAS and New Batman Adventures are included, along with Mask of the Phantasm and SubZero.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The WB Shop is also selling it for $112.99.
https://www.wbshop.com/products/batman-the-complete-animated-series-deluxe-limited-edition-bd

All 109 action-packed episodes (Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures) of the critically acclaimed, Emmy-winning series that redefined the Dark Knight with its thematic sophistication, aesthetics, voice acting, and orchestral score, is now in high definition! The Deluxe Limited Edition Blu-ray set comes housed in a beautiful premium lay-flat-book packaging with slipcase, includes 3 Funko figurines of Batman, the Joker, and Harley Quinn, 7 collectible lenticular art cards, 2 bonus discs of fan-favorite animated films, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero, brand new definitive Batman: The Animated Series making-of documentary, "The Heart of Batman," enhanced content also includes 24 featurettes, as well as introductions to five episodes by producer Bruce Timm, and commentary on 12 episodes by various combinations of the production team.

1000717410_0bc14b25-0ffa-44c4-870b-294499bd30c0_1024x1024.jpg

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I am 100% not making light of history, but if September 11 is the release day, I don't know if anyone would make that connection or think it was important enough. Like I said, two other Batman films are coming out in 4k on 9/11. That can't be coincidence.

You’re probably right but you never know. One 9/11 a few years back I was flipping though the channels. One if the premium channels was running the 76 King Kong which substitutes the Empire State Building with the Twin Towers with shots of planes crashing into the towers. I was like “WOW!”, that’s a sizable oversight.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
love the packaging as longs as it doesnt mess up the disc, can be tricky with the booklets, but now looks like i am gonna have extra copies of MotP and SubZero, if this does well think we could get Superman TAS and Batman Beyond complete sets?

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
My friend is going to shoot me when I tell him about this. I bought the DVD set last year and he decided to hold out for Blu-Ray at the time but he bought the DVD last week under my encouragement because it didn't look like Blu-Ray was going to happen.

It's not a big deal for me because I'll quite happily shell out for the BR and keep the DVD as a back-up but my friend is a lot more careful with his money.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wish they'd just included TAS and not New Batman Adventures. That season doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks