What's new

Price Check: 2008 Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH A/V Receiver (2 Viewers)

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I want to sell my older (manufactured in 2008) Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH A/V Receiver to a friend. It has been well kept and everything works fine. What would be a fair price?

Thanks,
Joe

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I want to sell my older (manufactured in 2008) Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH A/V Receiver to a friend. It has been well kept and everything works fine. What would be a fair price?

Thanks,
Joe
I have that same model sitting unused in my basement, as I upgraded to a Denon X3300W last year. While the 94TXH was a very good receiver in its day, it's probably not worth much now. It's HDMI inputs are older versions which do not support 4K, HDR10 or Dolby Vision. It could not even handle the audio-only output from my Sony X800 UHD player - - I encountered HDMI handshake issues that I couldn't resolve, hence the Denon upgrade.

I would check eBay to see if any had sold recently to get an idea of market price. However, if you are selling to a friend I would consider selling for under market price, since the device cannot support modern source components. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $100 or so for that model, and only to use in a secondary setup.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I would trade your receiver to get a good meal for it, not more than $25 or so. That seems like a friendly trade, and you are actually going to get the better end of the bargain for it.

In general, Receivers older than 4 years, of any brand, are worth zero point zero dollars and cost more to ship than they are worth.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
If you're not passing video through an AVR, they can last much longer. And DVDs are still more "popular" than BD or UHD...out in the wilds that is.

I have a 2008 Denon AVR (3808) on my workbench. It does all the basic BD audio formats sans Atmos/DTS:X. What I like about it, and why it's on my workbench, besides to listen to, is its great compatibility with all the legacy A/V formats, lots of easy to use handy I/O...that could be an advantage for the odd person.

As for price: I don't sell to friends, I would just give it to them. Prevents potential future awkwardness, and what's a few bucks among friends anyway.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've given away all my old receivers to friends too. As you note, there is nothing wrong with 4 year old receivers, there just is no resale value. I'd rather make someone really happy with a new toy than to try to squeeze a few bucks out of it.

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Yeah, I want to just give it to him but he's demanding that he pay me something. He is just using it for music/audio setup and it does sound nice. I'll suggest a good meal, see how that goes.

Thanks,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks