What's new

Replacing collections/upgrading/Repair (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In early collections, A lot of series' were on DVD Flippers (Dallas, The West Wing, Knight Rider etc ) .. When Mill Creek re released Knight Rider I purchased it but noticed that The TV movie Knight Rider 2000 was not included (as it was in the original Universal release of Season 1.) As Has been discussed before, the Flipper discs on a lot of releases had problems (Skips , Freezes etc) I have now Replaced my Dallas Classic Series seasons (all 14) via Amazon.

Would it have been worth it to buy a DVD Repair kit And try to solve the Issue that way ? has anyone had success trying that with flipper discs?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Probably not since a lot of the issues with the Flippers weren't scratches or damage to the external surface, but something to do with an issue inside the data layer or the way the sides of the disc were glued to each other. The damage was likely irreversible akin to LaserRot.

If there is some obvious damage to the disc then some sort of repair kit might be worth trying -- either the home kits or utilizing something like to old video store resurfacing technique. I think my local Family Video still will do that for a fee.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I recently watched all the seasons of Remington Steele straight through again. I'd had problems with the flippers "hanging", but this time on a blu-ray player (last time was pre-blu and HD DVD) had no problems. I'd love to get that and other flippers onto single-sided as I was able to of Hill Street Blues and Kolchak: The Night Stalker, but I was glad to see later players handle the imperfections.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I recently watched all the seasons of Remington Steele straight through again. I'd had problems with the flippers "hanging", but this time on a blu-ray player (last time was pre-blu and HD DVD) had no problems. I'd love to get that and other flippers onto single-sided as I was able to of Hill Street Blues and Kolchak: The Night Stalker, but I was glad to see later players handle the imperfections.
I played my brand new out of the box Wonder Woman on my blu-ray. Skips and freezes galore. :wacko:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
As many of you know, I absolutely LOATHE those double-sided flippers. Luckily, almost all of my old flippers have been replaced with single-sided reissues (some even upgraded to Blu-ray). I've not had even one issue on ANY of the single-sided reissues so far.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
That does help-- I had the same trouble myself!
I didn't even bother returning it to Walmart. All they would do is replace it with another set; I know well enough to know another set is going to exhibit the same problems. I guess I'll try to find it on single sided discs or do digital downloads.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I didn't even bother returning it to Walmart. All they would do is replace it with another set; I know well enough to know another set is going to exhibit the same problems. I guess I'll try to find it on single sided discs or do digital downloads.

Amazon should have that single-sided all-in-one-- try looking there.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As many of you know, I absolutely LOATHE those double-sided flippers. Luckily, almost all of my old flippers have been replaced with single-sided reissues (some even upgraded to Blu-ray). I've not had even one issue on ANY of the single-sided reissues so far.

Just Yesterday, I Boxed up Several of my Original Flipper releases (Knight Rider, The Best of Mr Ed Vol 1 and 2 and even the Shrink Rap Mr. Ed release because I Bought the Complete Series Set from Shout that included Season one Fully restored and Season 6 that was released by Shout ) .. I Replaced Knight Rider with the Blu Ray Mill Creak Release and the rest of Dallas on Single sided will arrive today from Amazon. I Dont expect the Dukes Of Hazzard on Blu Because Warner stopped it. Down the line I hope to get the Adventures of Superman and The West Wing on non flippers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks