What's new

Supergirl - season 4 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Maiden of Might will return for a fourth season of adventures, premiering on Sunday, October 14.

Season 1 thread
Season 2 thread
Season 3 thread

The third season ended with Mon-El and Winn returning to the distant future to stop Brainiac from wiping out all other artificial intelligences, and Brainiac-5 (who is no longer safe in the future for the same reason) taking Winn's place as the chief technology expert within the DEO; J’onn's father Myr’nn sacrificing himself to save the Earth from Reign's terraforming before they could complete the memory transfer ritual; Supergirl taking a cue from Superman: The Movie and turning back time to pursue a more moral strategy for defeating Reign and the Kryptonian witches; Reign finally being banished for good, leaving a fully human Sam to ride off into the sunset with her daughter Ruby, who may or may not be fully human; J'onn resigning from the DEO and arranging for Alex to take his place as head of the DEO; Alura returning to Argo City with the Kryptonian witches so that they can be brought to justice, with the formula to synthesize the mineral that keeps the fragment of Krypton that the city is on habitable; Lena is experimenting with said mineral on Earth; and a doppelganger of Supergirl with no memories appeared at the Siberian border, wrapped in a blanket.

Jessica Queller and Robert Rovner, will continue as showrunners for the fourth season.

Melissa Benoist, Chyler Leigh, Mehcad Brooks, Katie McGrath, and David Harewood will continue as series regulars for the fourth season. Jesse Rath, who recurred as Brainiac-5 during the third season, has been promoted to series regular. Jeremy Jordan has opted not to return as a series regular, but will recur during the fourth season. Odette Annable is leaving the show, but Queller and Rovner are leaving the door open for both her and Emma Tremblay to make guest appearances down the road. Chris Wood is not returning.

After a third season centered around space travel and Kryptonian mysticism, the fourth season will be a return to a more "grounded" show, with Kara Danvers's storylines again getting more equal screentime with Supergirl's storylines. The theme of the season will be hope versus fear with Supergirl faced with the conundrum, “How can she be a beacon of hope when she represents what people are afraid of?”

New casting:
  • Sam Witwer as Benjamin Lockwood/Agent Liberty, "a brilliant orator in the guise of a family man" whose reasonable demeanor belies his militant xenophobia and status as the driving force behind the anti-extraterrestrial Children of Liberty, dedicated to instituting and enforcing a humans-first world order. Witwer previously played Doomsday on "Smallville".
  • Nicole Maines as Nia Nal/Dreamer, a young transgender woman sent to National City by Cat Grant to learn from Kara Danvers, who also seeks out Supergirl as a superhero mentor.
  • April Parker Jones as Colonel Haley, "a hardline career military woman who lives and dies by the orders of her commanding officers. Haley's dedication ot her country leads her to always act in its best interest, even if that means acting against her own."
  • David Ajala as Manchester Black, "the type of guy who brings a knife to a gunfight and still walks away the winner. With a dark past, he easily deflects the brutality of his mission with his charm and sense of humor."

Witwer, Maines, and Parker Jones will be series regulars. Ajala will recur.

Comic-Con Trailer:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting, the storyline I was most worried about in tonight's season premiere -- the new transgender reporter at CatCo -- was the one that was handled the most deftly. She was very much like Kara at the beginning of the series, only far more prepared to actually be a reporter. The show can't really recover from ignoring CatCo for the last couple seasons, but I like Kara providing the same kind of mentorship that Cat Grant provided to her in the first season. Unfortunately for Nia, Cat brought a lot more to the table as a professional mentor.

I enjoyed the opening montage of Supergirl serving as a global hero in Superman's absence. Presumably there will be some sort of payoff for his journey to Argo later in the season, but for now it provides a ready explanation for why she has to grapple with this national crisis alone.

The alien refugee backlash as allegory for the current American administration's immigrant policies was imperfect last year, and continues to be imperfect here. Brenda Strong was a lot of fun as Lillian Luthor in prison, however. When she doesn't have to be the mustache-twirling villain, the writers give her more interesting colors to play.

Rhona Mitra is a talented actress who I've enjoyed since Sweet Home Alabama. I've missed her since she was written off "The Last Ship". I wish her version of Mercy Graves was a little less thinly drawn, but at least her schemes are allowed to be intelligent and effective. Mercy's brother Otis is clearly a nod to Ned Beatty's bumbling henchman in Superman: The Movie, but mostly comes across as generic muscle so far.

J'onn's newfound pacifism seems like a writerly handwave to leave Supergirl further isolated on the frontlines of this upcoming battle. I don't mind the show taking J'onn out of his leadership role at the DEO, but I hope they find something interesting to do with him.

"Brainy" just makes me miss Winn. He fills the same role, but with a lot less charm and lovability.

Ever since the Earth-38 U.S. president was revealed as being an alien, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. It will be interesting to see how the show handles it. Clearly the show's sympathies are with her, but the U.S. Constitution has clear eligibility requirements for the office:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

So not only did she mislead the American people when running for office, but given that she was born on the planet Durla, she is ineligible for the office to which she was elected.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
So, there is this masked guy stoking fears of aliens. "How do we know you aren't an alien?"

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I took this show off the DVR... the writing is just so bad and the "imperfect allegory" is beyond stupid. Being a Superman fan, I put up with it as long as I could but it continues to spiral downward. I'll probably check it out for the cross over but I am done as a regular viewer.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This show and the “Flash” are my favorite of these super hero shows. I don’t know why, but I am still forcing myself though each “Arrow” episode, although I find them boring. It is my old I-started-watching-this-show-from-the-beginning-and-must-finish-it-no-matter-how-stupid-I-find-it-now affliction. This disease occurred with me as far back as the original runs of “Lost In Space” and “Laugh In”.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is easily the weakest of the DC CW shows for me this season, even worse than "Arrow". The actors do their best, but the writing is just so amateurish.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
This show and the “Flash” are my favorite of these super hero shows. I don’t know why, but I am still forcing myself though each “Arrow” episode, although I find them boring.
I still have a number of "Arrow" episodes from last season I need to get through. "Flash" and "Legends" are my favorites, though I haven't seen the first "Legends" this season. "Supergirl" has declined though last season there were some really nice episodes. I do wish they wouldn't be trying so hard with the alien allegory. It gets tiresome very fast.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought tonight's episode was terrific.

The progession / creation of a 'villain' was well handled, and believable.

Good use of prior footage

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yes, this one was different, and I appreciated it. The character is Agent Liberty, isn't he? I'm no comic book scholar, but I thought he was a good character?
I know the show gets a lot of grief for dipping its toes in politics, but I appreciate the relevance, week after week. Not sure I could think of another show that's as consistently relevant, unless you go back to Star Trek in 1966-1969.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks