What's new

New 11 Channel Atmos Amplifier Coming to Market - Any HTF Member Feedback? (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
All,

Dennis Deacon of D-Sonic has informed me that he is coming to market with a new 12 channel Atmos amplifier. Here are the details:

11x200w/ch 8 ohm (11 ch) or 3x400w plus 6x200w (9ch)
Total weight of amplifier 17 lbs
Price: approx $2675

I could offer a reduced number of channels per customer request. Rear panel space limitation would dictate all XLR inputs only. Plug-in adapters for RCA inputs would be required.

What does everyone think?

Personally, I think this is a fantastic idea, as it's about time someone could fit an Atmos separate amp into a single chassis that doesn't compromise on power.

The chassis in question for this amp would look like this:

e_Stereo_ISO-002__91043.1522883091.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've never done seperates so my opinion isn't much help here, sorry. I just want more options on the market to get 7.1.4 in a single box receiver, without clunky add on amps. I love my Denon 6000 series but that price doesnt work for the vast majority of those wanting 'real' Atmos installs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So this is clearly a class D design at that weight. I've never actually heard a class D amp but I have heard some say they do not offer the same sound quality as traditional class AB. I would love to audition one of these babies!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
So this is clearly a class D design at that weight. I've never actually heard a class D amp but I have heard some say they do not offer the same sound quality as traditional class AB. I would love to audition one of these babies!
It's a common misconception, not backed up by blind listening tests or measurements. I personally use Class D in my theater and love it. My Atmos system is 100% D-Sonic, and I was choosing from almost every brand available FWIW.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've never done seperates so my opinion isn't much help here, sorry. I just want more options on the market to get 7.1.4 in a single box receiver, without clunky add on amps. I love my Denon 6000 series but that price doesnt work for the vast majority of those wanting 'real' Atmos installs.
I can certainly understand that thinking for the majority of users, however separates is so worth it IMO. Once you try it, you will realize that the amps in even the best receivers are flat garbage compared to a dedicated unit. I would bet good money, that once you try separates you will never go back :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I can certainly understand that thinking for the majority of users, however separates is so worth it IMO. Once you try it, you will realize that the amps in even the best receivers are flat garbage compared to a dedicated unit. I would bet good money, that once you try separates you will never go back :D

Remember that as big a HT nut as I am, I have only been able to afford top quality components in the last 6 years. Everything until my 40s was firmly focused on best bang for moderate budget. I couldnt have dreamed of affording the speakers and receiver I have now 10 years ago. I've never had the budget for separates, even now =)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Remember that as big a HT nut as I am, I have only been able to afford top quality components in the last 6 years. Everything until my 40s was firmly focused on best bang for moderate budget. I couldnt have dreamed of affording the speakers and receiver I have now 10 years ago. I've never had the budget for separates, even now =)
I hear you Sam but what I've learned over the years is that it all adds up. I still believe separates are cheaper in the long run. Your room appears similar to mine. My dimensions are 21.5 ft (L) x 10.6 ft (W) with a standard 8ft ceiling.

My old Onkyo TX SR 805 [rated at 140 WPC] ran hot enough to fry an egg [sort of common with Onkyo] at normal levels and eventually started to go into automatic shutdown when I occasionally played it in "insane mode." When I went to separates I immediately noticed two things.
  1. My Acuras 3X200 and Outlaw 7140 [rated the same as the Onkyo on paper] are simply bulletproof. My ears will give out long before they do and I rarely ever exceed -15dB because I simply can't tolerate it.
  2. The detail and clarity jumped up to new levels. @JohnRice helped me understand why that happened. Power vs volume...
I don't know what you're running so I'm not trying to make any absolute statements. Just saying, for me, I decided to cut my losses and grab separates and I have not regretted it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It's a common misconception, not backed up by blind listening tests or measurements. I personally use Class D in my theater and love it. My Atmos system is 100% D-Sonic, and I was choosing from almost every brand available FWIW.
Yep. I just haven't ever heard class D. Would like to.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of course, D-sonic is not your run of the mill Class D. Until fairly recently, I don't think the effort had been put into Class D amps to make them perform on par with A/B. Go back 20 years or so, and the same was said about Class A/B vs Class A. Technology and research tends to change these things. Quality Class D amps are far from economical, but they do exist. As time passes, the drop in cost of the technology for them will make them cheaper than equivalent A/Bs, and their massive power supplies. The price and specs of this D-Sonic is a new value level, but it's still more than I paid for my three Emotivas. Of course, those are now a lot more expensive and this one is finally approaching an equal total cost, in a much smaller, lighter, more efficient single enclosure.

Dave, your comment about having only XLR connectors is totally valid. As far as I understand, there is no negative to using an RCA to XLR cable vs a plain RCA one. Is that correct? You have balanaced when you want it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep. I just haven't ever heard class D. Would like to.
Theoretically, an optimally designed Class D amp should be spectacular, and extremely efficient. The problem is, they are remarkably complex and difficult to design.

Here's a good video with a basic explanation of the different designs. As a note, Paul McGowan is the CEO of PS Audio, and they have recently introduced a couple Class D amps. That says a lot. I'd love to sample a good class D amp in my system.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would have been a prospective buyer for this a year ago. I have a 7.2.4 Atmos system powered by Marantz 7-ch and 5-ch amps. Having a single 12-ch amp would free up space and an outlet in my limited electronics rack.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Theoretically, an optimally designed Class D amp should be spectacular, and extremely efficient. The problem is, they are remarkably complex and difficult to design.

Here's a good video with a basic explanation of the different designs. As a note, Paul McGowan is the CEO of PS Audio, and they have recently introduced a couple Class D amps. That says a lot. I'd love to sample a good class D amp in my system.

If anyone here is willing to post their honest impressions, I think I could line up a loaner of a D-Sonic amp, so that you can hear for yourself.

Let me know

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If anyone here is willing to post their honest impressions, I think I could line up a loaner of a D-Sonic amp, so that you can hear for yourself.

Let me know
NICE offer, Dave! I might be interested. Feel free to PM me with details.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
12 x 200 WPC at 17 lbs? I find that hard to believe.

For class A or AB it would be impossible but with class D it can [theoretically] be done. The designs tend to be complicated but maybe D-Sonic has something to show us.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I wouldn't even know where to start with separates. Not sure it is wise for me to volunteer since I wouldn't have the other half!
Good thing you have an entire forum at your disposal. If and when you're ready, guidance will not be an issue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had separates years ago, but then I had some equipment issues. I didn't go back to separates until I upgraded to a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup so I was forced to go back to separates. I'm glad I did. Wow, just 17 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks