Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Avengers: Infinity War UHD Review
Avengers3_feat-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Todd, thanks for the review! Can you definitely confirm that the 4K UHD disc includes Dolby Vision? There was info floating around before the release that Infinity War would NOT include a DV encode and would be HDR only. Also, could you please clarify what you mean by "completed in either a 2K or 4K digital intermediate"? Which is it for the 4K UHD? Thanks!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd, thanks for the review! Can you definitely confirm that the 4K UHD disc includes Dolby Vision? There was info floating around before the release that Infinity War would NOT include a DV encode and would be HDR only. Also, could you please clarify what you mean by "completed in either a 2K or 4K digital intermediate"? Which is it for the 4K UHD? Thanks!
I can't definitely confirm, as both my player and display only support HDR10. But word on the street is that this and Solo will be HDR10 only.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I’m set up to prefer DV, and mine only played with HDR, so I’d say there’s no DV on this release.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As for 2K or 4K digital intermediate, there is no definite way to determine that. IMDB keeps changing back and forth as to what the movie was completed as.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.
You bet.

And thanks for the review, Todd. Tonight was my first time seeing this film and I found it to be terrifically entertaining. Quite dark in tone and event, so the many doses of humor were most welcome.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As for 2K or 4K digital intermediate, there is no definite way to determine that. IMDB keeps changing back and forth as to what the movie was completed as.

Maybe we'll get a clarification from Disney at some point.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Maybe we'll get a clarification from Disney at some point.
This site says its fake 4K aka upscaled.

http://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

Check the other titles listed, if they are correct for them then it gives a clue to how accurate their batting score is for being correct for other things.

Much of the film is probably 2k CGI effects work, so it is upscaled anyways, the differences will come from wide colour and HDR, talking of HDR, i really hope HDR10+ takes off and more discs get it because i think its a pity it was not ready for UHD launch titles and hardware.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As I noted in the Movies Anywhere thread:

If anyone is having difficulty redeeming their codes for any of the Avengers 4K discs, apparently Disney has not released the codes into MA's system yet, but they should be live later today, according to the rep I chatted with at MA.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As I noted in the Movies Anywhere thread:

If anyone is having difficulty redeeming their codes for any of the Avengers 4K discs, apparently Disney has not released the codes into MA's system yet, but they should be live later today, according to the rep I chatted with at MA.
Redeemed mine no problem a few hours ago

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Redeemed mine no problem a few hours ago
Well, mine finally redeemed, and I've updated the Special Features and Digital Copy sections.

Since some had no issues redeeming their codes prior to street date, it makes me wonder if Disney just didn't load all of the codes in time, because the chat rep seemed pretty annoyed with all of the complaints this morning of codes not redeeming.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This site says its fake 4K aka upscaled.

http://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

Check the other titles listed, if they are correct for them then it gives a clue to how accurate their batting score is for being correct for other things.

Much of the film is probably 2k CGI effects work, so it is upscaled anyways, the differences will come from wide colour and HDR, talking of HDR, i really hope HDR10+ takes off and more discs get it because i think its a pity it was not ready for UHD launch titles and hardware.
I often find that site to be about as accurate (or inaccurate) as IMDB. But then, considering what one of the producers said in the Special Features that Infinity War contains just over 3,000 shots and 2,900 of them are effects shots, it wouldn't surprise me if this was completed as a 2K DI. However, I've also heard that Disney prefers that their films be completed as 4K DI's going forward - this was as of Last Jedi.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
HDR is appropriate for Infinity War because it was presented with HDR in theaters, the grading of which was supervised and approved by the filmmakers.

But HDR is not appropriate for those who prefer to see films as originally presented in theaters and as envisioned by the filmmakers, as many films weren’t shown theatrically with HDR and have had HDR created for them by people who were not the original filmmakers.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
When I was supervising the Twilight Zone transfers I was discovering that the technology (about ten years ago) in telecine was not allowing me to keep bright items like street lights and car headlights from going in to the 'clip' during night scenes. Similarly in daylight scenes where you have a situation with extreme bright sky and a character walking in shadow in the same shot. To handle this I asked the grader to reduce the 'luminance' to the point where the sky was well below the clip until you could see detail within it, regardless of how much the sky took up frame space, then let the dark shadowy area find its own level without going into 'crush'. I was battling this kind of situation throughout as I am sure all the high and low detail was properly exposed in the 35mm original negative and fought to get as much of the resolution out of it as possible.
Presumably the HDR technology would now glide over all these issues.
If one would want to encode these transfers with this new technology you would have to return to the original film source material as the transfers would contain areas where 'clipping' of highlights etc. embedded in the transfers was unavoidable.
Josh, presumably StephenPI would disagree with you, based on this quote from the HDR, Why wasn’t Dynamic Range an Issue thread. It seems to me that HDR can do a better job of preserving what is on the negative for new media presentations, presuming what is on the negative supports it and that HDR is not applied with a heavy hand.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
This debate has been going on for a couple of years now - whether HDR is another tool that can be used to better replicate what was seen on the screen or whether it will inevitably turn all of our beloved movies into bad real estate photos. I tend to believe the former.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This debate has been going on for a couple of years now - whether HDR is another tool that can be used to better replicate what was seen on the screen or whether it will inevitably turn all of our beloved movies into bad real estate photos. I tend to believe the former.
And I think the folks at Sony has proven that point very well with titles like Bridge Across the River Kwai.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fair enough, wasn’t the appropriate thread for my comment to begin with. My apologies for temporarily diverting from Todd’s excellent review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks