Alpha (2018)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: Alpha

Tagline: Experience the incredible story of how mankind discovered man's best friend

Genre: Thriller, Adventure

Director: Albert Hughes

Cast: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Priya Rajaratnam, Leonor Varela, Jens Hultén, Natassia Malthe, Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson, Mercedes de la Zerda, Patrick Flanagan, Spencer Bogaert, Michael Kruse-Dahl, Marcin Kowalczyk, Louis Lay, Blake Point, Kyle Glenn Thomas, Taran Kootenhayoo, Nestor de la Zerda, Nashon Douglas

Release: 2018-08-17

Plot: After a hunting expedition goes awry, a young caveman struggles against the elements to find his way home.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm seeing it tonight in IMAX 3-D.

I'll be curious to see how many complaints start appearing on Twitter from people who have no idea that it's subtitled. Supposedly there is very little dialogue, so it probably has fewer subtitled lines than A Quiet Place.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
PETA is asking audiences to boycott the film because some Bison were killed during production.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
PETA is asking audiences to boycott the film because some Bison were killed during production.
Sounds like a good reason. There's no excuse to be killing animals to make movies.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This was all investigated back in 2016, when the movie was titled The Solutrean:
Well, if recent events in Hollywood have taught us anything, it doesn't matter when it happened, whether or not it's already been investigated, or what the circumstances were. It demands a response and additional action here and now! :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this IMAX 3D tonight - yay, A-List! - and liked it.

I suspect it'll be much more entertaining if you love dogs like I do, but it's still well-made. It avoids too much schmaltz and provides a pretty engaging little adventure.

Though I think it ends too abruptly!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw it IMAX 3D, am not a dog person, and still really liked it! I actually loved the ending - too many movies these days don’t know when to bow out and this one did. Really thrilling, some very nice 3D too.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw it IMAX 3D, am not a dog person, and still really liked it! I actually loved the ending - too many movies these days don’t know when to bow out and this one did. Really thrilling, some very nice 3D too.

I just thought the end was a little sudden.

They go on this long, epic journey and then - boom! - "we're home!"

Just seemed a little sudden, like they were about to run out of film so they said "let's stop here!" :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Go figure, that’s exactly what I liked about it. The one-two-three punch of them making it home, Alpha giving birth, and then seeing the two of them with the little puppies, nothing was gonna top that for me, so I was happy for the movie to have ended there on that emotional high.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Go figure, that’s exactly what I liked about it. The one-two-three punch of them making it home, Alpha giving birth, and then seeing the two of them with the little puppies, nothing was gonna top that for me, so I was happy for the movie to have ended there on that emotional high.

To be clear, I was fine with the "coda". It was the
long, long difficult journey - hey, we're home!
part I didn't like...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, if recent events in Hollywood have taught us anything, it doesn't matter when it happened, whether or not it's already been investigated, or what the circumstances were. It demands a response and additional action here and now! :rolleyes: ;)
It's called virtue signaling.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The gender roles seemed stereotyped to me, but otherwise I thought it was a good movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think the record is clear about whether women hunted in prehistoric times. My guess is that they did. But in the movie the hunting party is all men, and women seem to be relegated to keeping up the homefront. Women are only on screen for maybe 10% of the movie, if that.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com...women-manual-labor-stronger-athletes-science/
Thanks, personally that doesn't bother me as it's not germane to the main story line which is the young man and his wolf.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks