What's new

Amazon looking to buy Landmark Theater chain (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, I hope not. Albany's local art house theater was sold to them a year or two ago, and Landmark has done an admirable job of maintaining much of what made it special. I'd hate to see what Amazon would do with it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We had a Landmark where I used to live in Indiana which I absolutely loved (well, it's still there, but now that I'm on the other side of the country I will never get there again personally, and they don't operate a theater here.)

Amazon has done a really nice job in the indie film space over the last couple of years backing interesting projects like The Big Sick and Manchester by the Sea (the latter of which I didn't like, but it certainly has its fans.) They have thus far remained very committed to giving their movies theatrical releases, and I think buying Landmark would enable that to continue, rather than Amazon trying to force a day-and-date release on Prime, which hasn't really been their style. Unlike Netflix, they seem to value the theatrical release for the exposure that it brings to their movies before landing on their streaming platform.

I actually don't think this would be a terrible idea.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ugh, I hope not. Albany's local art house theater was sold to them a year or two ago, and Landmark has done an admirable job of maintaining much of what made it special. I'd hate to see what Amazon would do with it.
I'm hoping for the best, the Spectrum is my favorite theater to go to. I have gone to several hundred movies there and only had a handful of serious technical problems. I have had more problems at various Regal locations during a single week than I have at a lifetime of attending the Spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks