What's new

Star Wars Resistance Season 1 (2018-19) (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What terribly flat looking animation! I will try an episode or two, but doubt if I will be able to watch it. It reminds me of the Star Trek animated series or 1970s Saturday morning dreck.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
What terribly flat looking animation! I will try an episode or two, but doubt if I will be able to watch it. It reminds me of the Star Trek animated series or 1970s Saturday morning dreck.
You could always fast-forward through the episodes :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You could always fast-forward through the episodes :)
upload_2018-8-18_18-11-21.jpeg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm going to reserve judgment until I see a few episodes, but at first blush, all I can say is: the writing better make up for the animation.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to reserve judgment until I see a few episodes, but at first blush, all I can say is: the writing better make up for the animation.
Yeah, it nearly looks like an animatic to me. To be fair, I found the look of The Clone Wars to be bizarre when I first saw pictures and clips from that show but I quickly came to embrace it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m not a fan of this Flatimation©️style.

The recent revival of Duck Tails was like this and I think the MTV Spider-Man show was like this.

I’ll check into the show but don’t like the style.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I assume it's faster and cheaper (sorry... "less expensive") to do the animation this way.

Although, the animation in The Clone Wars kind of bothered me too at first, but I did get used to it. Saw the movie in the theater with my oldest son, and settled into the look within the first 15 minutes.

I guess this is sort of harking back to 2003's Clone Wars series, which really did have that Filmation look.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This animation is nothing like Filmation. Filmation used minimal movements and re-used backgrounds quite a bit, not to mention re-using stock shots and sound effects. It was an exercise in low-budget animation. Judging by the clip above, this is anything but. The animation is fluid, the backgrounds are varied (and even move) and the sound effects will be top-notch. Sure, it's a different kind of animation than the Clone Wars (which occasionally used blocky computer-game type characters) and different from Rebels, but it is not low quality.

BTW, Rebels utilized a lot of Ralph McQuarrie's paintings for the kinds of backgrounds they used. The show had a unique look that instantly said "Star Wars."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Filmation Star Trek was typical for 1973-74 TV animation. And I have such fond memories watching it on Saturday mornings. As a kid, I didn't care about how much the characters moved, I was jazzed to have Star Trek back. If this is a quarter as much fun as that series, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yes, indeed, and let's not forget that Star Trek TAS had great scripts, written by some of the writers from the TV show. I still love TAS.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
What should be especially telling is that Dave Filoni has distanced himself away from Kathleen Kennedy and any series that is tied to the Disney trilogy. Ever since the whole Kathleen debacle has been lighting up the internet these days, it's a wonder that this series was even green-lighted.

Ever since I started seeing images for this series, I expressed concern. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved Star Wars Rebels, but to see this franchise resort to anime-styled 2D animation is a great disservice to this franchise,. Many of us were expecting perhaps a series focused on Ahsoka and Sabine's hunt for Ezra. Unfortunately, it's doubtful we'll ever see that idea come to light. But, I think after the criticized "The Force Awakens' remake of A New Hope and the criticized The Last Jedi, I don't think a new animated series focused on the new trilogy was the right way to go.

Will I try the first few episodes out? Sure. But, I just don't like what I've seen so far.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Why on earth should it be telling that Filoni has distanced himself ? Hasn't he been focused on The Clone Wars for a while now ? Theres no way he would have missed out on an opportunity to complete that when it came up. And there is no way that there isn't eventually going to be something else focused on Ahsoka/Ezra etc. You dont leave a cliffhanger like that and not explore it at some point.

Im not convinced by the animation yet but its early days, and then I wasn't sure either of Clone Wars at first and was initially disappointed that Rebels didn't have the same style either. Now I see they are trying to go for a different styles for each series which I like.

Ultimately It comes down to compelling characters and decent stories and I do believe and think that Filoni would be the first to admit there are plenty of other people at Lucasfilm who can step up. Like everyone I'll give it a shot, though I remember Clone Wars took at least a season and a half to truly grab me (Landing At Point Rain)

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Considering that the whole Kathleen Kennedy debacle has not just divided fans but of the current speculation about her future at Lucasfilm and that Resistance was announced prior to that speculation getting out, It think some at Lucasfilm are keeping their distance until this all blows over or there's some type of resolution to the matter. I've even heard some of the speculation that Disney wasn't happy with Rian Johnson and that Kennedy never wanted J.J. Abrams on the Force Awakens in the first place.

There's just been a lot of division between what Lucasfilm sees as its current vision and satisfying the fanbase. She can say all the 'I don't have to cater' comments all she wants but when it comes down to it, if the Star Wars fans aren't going to see these new movies (Solo) and they are abandoning Star Wars projects that are coming out (Resistance; this remains to be seen yet), there are a lot of people watching this unfold very carefully.

To be honest, I never cared for the concept of 'Resistance' simply because it's tied into the new Star Wars trilogy. I keep expecting that Lucasfilm will kill off the character of Lando Calrissian in the third film. But, it's the anime-inspired animation for resistance that has me worried. I loved Star Wars Rebels because of its use of CGI-inspired animation style and it was sad to see the new series relegated back to 2D animation. Also, there's the fact that the new series seems to be aimed more at the kiddies than at the adults, which may be another reason I'll drop the new series. But, if it comes down to it, I can just pop in Star Wars Rebels and watch that while Resistance is being broadcast.

It's also telling that Resistance is not being broadcast on Disney XD and instead, being broadcast on Disney Channel.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's also telling that Resistance is not being broadcast on Disney XD and instead, being broadcast on Disney Channel.

I wouldn't read anything into that. A lot of Disney XD shows have migrated to the Disney Channel - Duck Tales, Milo Murphy's Law, and more -- even Rebels. It could be all part of the preparation for the launch of the Disney streaming service next year, which Iger called Disney Play in a recent conference call.

As for Kathleen Kennedy, there are a lot of haters who don't think a woman should be in charge of Star Wars - the same folks who don't want to see a woman be a main character in the films. I say, ignore them. Kennedy has done an outstanding job. She has always put the film first, even when it wasn't the most convenient thing to do. Despite the lackluster box office for Solo, I still think it was a tremendous film, one I will enjoy watching again and again. As far as I am concerned, Kennedy can keep that job for life.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Considering that the whole Kathleen Kennedy debacle...
What debacle? She's still produced 4 movies that made more than 2 billion in the U.S. Three of those four were among the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time (with TFA being the highest of all time) and a fifth that will absolutely do the same thing. With The Last Jedi, she also produced the best Star Wars movie since 1980. Despite the behind the scenes turmoil, money talks. No doubt, Disney wanted Solo to make more money but all things considered, I'd bet most studios would live with a debacle that has generated billions for the company.

There's just been a lot of division between what Lucasfilm sees as its current vision and satisfying the fanbase. She can say all the 'I don't have to cater' comments all she wants but when it comes down to it, if the Star Wars fans aren't going to see these new movies (Solo) and they are abandoning Star Wars projects that are coming out (Resistance; this remains to be seen yet), there are a lot of people watching this unfold very carefully.
The gatekeeping fanbase is one of the last groups that anyone should listen to. I grew up with the OT and I've read every EU novel published so I'm in basically in that group except I don't deem myself an arbiter of what is and isn't SW and I don't get mad when the fans expand beyond people like myself- I enjoy seeing new voices and ideas for something I love.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
TravisR, Kathleen Kennedy has nothing to do with that. Star Wars is just one of those name brand franchises that sells itself. It's like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc. Kathleen Kennedy has just become a joke as far as the fans are concerned. The fact that she became a joke after the failure of Solo simply cemented her fate in the eyes of the fans. I'm no fan of Kennedy because any head of any studio who blatantly offends the very fans of the franchise they are in charge of simply deserves no respect. I'm simply questioning your statement that the success of The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and Rogue One were because of Kennedy's influence.

Those movies succeeded in spite of her influence, would be the more accurate statement. I'm not ridiculing Kennedy but her attitude and behavior toward the fans of the Star Wars franchise has been nothing but abysmal. I also find it hilarious that you count Solo as a success. Solo actually bombed. Because of the fallout from Solo, Kennedy has stepped back from any active role in the Star Wars films and from what I heard, Dave Filoni stepped back away from resistance, handed Episode IX over to J.J. Abrams and that Rian Johnson's may not be running the show with the new trilogy. I also heard that Kennedy didn't really want J.J. Abrams on The Force Awakens and that Disney wasn't happy with Rian Johnson's work on The Last Jedi.

In the end, Disney needs to make money from the Star Wars franchise and Solo was the first nail in her coffin. If Resistance fails to perform in the ratings, it's possible that Kennedy and Johnson might actually be on their way out. The only light at the end of the tunnel is Joss Whedon's live action TV series, which has a lot of fans hyped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks