Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg submitted a new blog post

Irma La Douce Blu-ray Review (Kino)
Irma-La-Douce-still.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I can't stand it, actually. Too brown, none of the vibrancy of color of the dye transfer prints and I mean NONE, and then you're right, it's never as sharp as it should be. Either the people who did the transfer are completely inept or I am skeptical it's from the camera negative - like really skeptical.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I had no frame of reference for it, I might have thought it looked perfectly fine. I’ve never had a chance to see an actual print for this, but I spent a semester studying these films and I remember the review clippings from the time of its release noting the color as you describe those original prints. I didn’t find it unpleasant to watch but it wasn’t quite the look that I expected.

At the least, it’s an upgrade over the DVD. I’m not unhappy with it, I’m just not doing cartwheels over it. (Do people still do those?)

Reactions: PMF

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I can't stand it, actually. Too brown, none of the vibrancy of color of the dye transfer prints and I mean NONE, and then you're right, it's never as sharp as it should be. Either the people who did the transfer are completely inept or I am skeptical it's from the camera negative - like really skeptical.
I don't feel so bad about recommending the French Blu Ray.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thrilled about this upgrade but, as haineshisway has said, something is also just a tad off or amiss.
Nonetheless, there are not enough years to hold out for whatever that missing aspect may be.
KL does what they can, but they have yet to hit that sweet spot of perfection ala Twilight Time, WAC and Criterion; although they are getting closer as this past year has shown.
Well, at least KL has supplied us with many key titles that, otherwise, no one else has produced.
Better to have than to have not; but when I get the chance, I'm gonna compare the KL to the French BD.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's a lot more accurate than the Kino, which is dullsville and too brown.
A double-dip is the rarest of rare from me;
but it looks like France will be getting my order, along with "Sweet Charity".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks