What's new

The Cyclops (1957)- coming from WAC (2 Viewers)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
THE CYCLOPS (1957)
NEW 2018 1080p HD remaster!
Run Time 66:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16 X 9 WIDESCREEN, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.78:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 25
Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Lovely Susan Winter organizes an expedition deep into the wilds of Mexico. She hopes to find her aviator fiancé, lost after his plane crashed. Instead, she and her three male companions find behemoth bugs, giant battling lizards, mountains practically glowing with uranium and a 25-foot-tall human beast with a single eye, a melted-cheese-sandwich face and a very scary attitude. If you like nifty ’50s horror, The Cyclops is the kind of over-the-top frightfest that’ll have you spilling your popcorn. Among the cast: Lon Chaney (The Wolf Man) as a manipulative wheeler-dealer who’d just love to become a uranium millionaire...no matter the danger to the rest of the expedition. Writer/director Bert I. Gordon (Beginning of the End, The Amazing Colossal Man) masterminds the menace.
FB_IMG_1534886714460.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm absolutely getting this one! It's a long time favorite and I avoided the DVD-R release (only have a crappy Amazon digital version I got "free" using slow shipping credits). And this one stars the lovely Gloria Talbott!

They can keep these classic "B" SF films coming! I'll get 'em all! :D

(somebody needs to release The Amazing Colossal Man - a long missing B.I.G. production)

Last edited:

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Odd coming from Warner Archive since that's the made-on-demand division. Has one of the funniest bad special effects ever (the film frame lifted out of the film), and of course a loud music soundtrack by Albert Glasser who did many of Bert I. Gordon's films. Pretty uninspiring, more like a test film for COLOSSAL MAN and it's sequel.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I believe WAC recalled/replaced their original release of this film for it used an element that did not show a spear thrown into the Cyclop’s eye. I pretty sure I still have the first release disc and the replacement.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I believe WAC recalled/replaced their original release of this film for it used an element that did not show a spear thrown into the Cyclop’s eye. I pretty sure I still have the first release disc and the replacement.

That is correct, and it's actually pretty strong stuff for the fifties. I'm just puzzled why QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE and DARK OF THE SUN have been announced but remain unreleased. I look forward to LOOKER, which is pretty cool until the final stupid 20 minutes. No interest in BIG WEDNESDAY.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Odd coming from Warner Archive since that's the made-on-demand division.

Why odd? Warner Archives has released blu rays of such varied films as Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Auntie Mame, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, The Americanization Of Emily, Seven Days In May, Ballad Of Cable Hogue, The Big Sleep, Wait Until Dark, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Where The Boys Are, The Goodbye Girl, Unsinkable Molly Brown etc. Almost all of Warner's catalog blu rays are released through the Warners Archive.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
...Almost all of Warner's catalog blu rays are released through the Warners Archive.

I know, and it seems odd since it's the made-on-demand division. Unless they're burning high-def to recordable blu-ray discs (BD-R's) rather than factory-pressed. I'm not the only one to voice this.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I know, and it seems odd since it's the made-on-demand division. Unless they're burning high-def to recordable blu-ray discs (BD-R's) rather than factory-pressed. I'm not the only one to voice this.
WAC BD's are pressed, always have been and are not MOD. Their DVD's are MOD. WAC has addressed this numerous times, including this YouTube video they posted:

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Thanks for posting Warner's clarification. They could avoid confusion if they didn't use the Warner Archive logo for blu-ray. Then again, some WAC dvds were pressed or had a mixed release (a run of pressed, then switching to MOD), so I suppose they aren't setting a precedent with pressed blu-ray.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Thanks for posting Warner's clarification. They could avoid confusion if they didn't use the Warner Archive logo for blu-ray. Then again, some WAC dvds were pressed or had a mixed release (a run of pressed, then switching to MOD), so I suppose they aren't setting a precedent with pressed blu-ray.
WAC is now Warner's primary outlet for releasing catalog titles, especially, pre-1970 titles.

WHV rarely releases any pre-1970 titles on BD. WAC has become their "oldies" outlet of choice for the past several years. By my count, WHV hasn't released a pre-1970 catalog title since the "Special Effects Collection" and the "Hammer Horror Collection" in 2015. Since then all pre-1970 releases on BD have been through WAC.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Odd coming from Warner Archive since that's the made-on-demand division. Has one of the funniest bad special effects ever (the film frame lifted out of the film), and of course a loud music soundtrack by Albert Glasser who did many of Bert I. Gordon's films. Pretty uninspiring, more like a test film for COLOSSAL MAN and it's sequel.
The biggest confusion people still have comes from the use of the term MOD. It means Manufactured on Demand and does not mean DVD-R or BD-R. When WAC started in 2009 DVD-R and MOD became interchangeable because they were only using DVD-R for the 1st few years. Now they use pressed discs for nearly all their DVD TV shows but DVD-R for individual films. They have never released a BD-R.
The term MOD: Manufactured on demand means just that for DVD they make a small batch of either pressed or DVD-R depending on how high they think the demand is and when they run out they make more. This includes pressed they can and have press more DVD sets when the 1st batch runs out.
MOD Blu Ray for Warner Archive are pressed blu rays made on demand in small batches. When they run out they press more.
After 10 years of professional DVD-R's its been proven that there is no difference between Pressed or quality burned discs I don't know why a concern for this still comes up. Old urban Legend. There are lots of threads on failed pressed DVDs but hardly any on failed DVD-R. Neither Disc will last forever.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Between this and Queen of Outer Space, I'd suppose that campy schlock is the go to genre over at WAC these days. Not that I don't enjoy this stuff in great measure, I do. But, where are the classier 20's thru 50's high end titles a good many of us hunger for? There are thousands waiting in the wings and I could mention many right now. And, what about one measly silent masterpiece? Just do it to prove you've got a bit of class and historical sense, WB, please. Kevin Brownlow's already restored the best of the best and YOU own them, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks