What's new

I need help with this (1 Viewer)

smith820

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Amateur alert........Just bought the Panamax 5300 to protect $8000 worth of equipment but I over looked something. This unit has a 15 amp circuit on that back that trips if it goes over.
My whole basement (including the cave) is wired to a 20 amp circuit. So does this mean I can’t hook this up down there? Do I have to run a separate 15 amp outlet on a 15 amp breaker to all of my equipment to be able to plug this thing in?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should be fine.

What is the equipment, because you don't necessarily want to plug power amps into the Panamax. It's something that's up for debate. Some manufacturers recommend not connecting their power amps to any kind of protection circuit, even though it has a bank designed for power amps.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You should be fine.

What is the equipment, because you don't necessarily want to plug power amps into the Panamax. It's something that's up for debate. Some manufacturers recommend not connecting their power amps to any kind of protection circuit, even though it has a bank designed for power amps.
I agree. I use the Panamax M5300 for everything else but run my amps on a separate circuit that bypasses it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also plug my power amps directly into the wall, but if you live in an area with electrical problems, you never know.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No amps, just a receiver, surround sound, and a $4000 tv. Thanks

The receiver will never draw anywhere near 15 amps before it's internal protection circuits kick in but I don't think I would trust the Panamax 5300 alone with that $4000.00 TV since it lacks voltage regulation. I use the very same unit in my Home Theater but I also have whole-house surge protection installed at the electrical service panels.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just make certain to connect the receiver to an outlet in the high power bank. If you have a subwoofer(s), I'd connect them directly to an outlet, then they aren't drawing from the 15A limit of the Panamax. Really, the odds of you exceeding your power limit long enough to cause a shutdown are virtually non existent.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
just want to add that you should add as many as you can afford My amp needs 2 separate circuits 20 amps per channel.
You have to get what you want. But you have to know what you need.

SARDG

Auditioning
Real Name
Kitty
I have 4 (separate) HT systems in my home, all with a minimum of 7.2 AVR and ALL with 3D TVs ranging from 47" to 85". 3D TVs are like hen's teeth so direct replacement at nearly any cost is doubtful.

After losing $5K worth of gear to a lightning surge, I had a whole-house surge protector installed AND several high-end Panamax. Then the next big lightning super-storm came through and I lost another $5K in gear. It was just as though I had my equipment plugged directly into the lightning bolt, or may as well had.

Now, this time around, I purchased several UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) units with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) and plug my AVR, BluRay, and TV directly into each of them. Just hanging out now, waiting for the NEXT BIG THING in electrical storms to see if the UPS works.

You may as well read the "fine print" now, that comes with the Panamax. Corporate attorneys have done their very best to ensure the consumer never collects on their surge guarantee.

Last edited:

SARDG

Auditioning
Real Name
Kitty
BTW, to go along with my above post... the UPS units are rated for 20 Amp circuits, but certainly don't require that with my smaller load. When attached to 20 Amp circuits, they are rated at 2000 VA, 1540 W.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
All I have ever lost to a power surge was a $25 coffee maker.
We had a tree come down on the power line to the house last summer during a thunderstorm and it caused a surge that fried my Keurig coffee maker and my microwave in the kitchen but everything else in the house seemed to survive. It did fry the surge protector to which my HT AVR system, TV, and audio components was connected, but everything that was plugged into it survived. Though it did take a day or so for that ozone smell to dissipate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks