What's new

Apple TV 4 now with Dolby Atmos support (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A step int the right direction but it looks like Apple's Atmos support will be the same as what Netflix is offering, lossy Dolby Digital + and probably topping out at 5.1.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A step int the right direction but it looks like Apple's Atmos support will be the same as what Netflix is offering, lossy Dolby Digital + and probably topping out at 5.1.
Huh?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Eh Nevermind for some reason I thought this was an Amazon Atmos topic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not true, I've been a Beta user with Dolby Atmos on iTunes for weeks now and it is Dolby TrueHD if you turn your receiver's ability to process Dolby Atmos off.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Not true, I've been a Beta user with Dolby Atmos on iTunes for weeks now and it is Dolby TrueHD if you turn your receiver's ability to process Dolby Atmos off.
Apple is sending lossless audio? Wow, that's great! I wasn't that excited about Atmos, since I do not have height speakers installed. However, I assumed they would be sending Atmos over lossy Dolby Digital +, and not lossless True HD.

I am excited now. :dancing-banana-04:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And I think they’ve corrected all those films that weren’t playing in Atmos too.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

From Apple:

“The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder packs the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless PCM audio.”

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just installed the update, and Ready Player One shows as Atmos on the LCD panel of my Denon receiver. I cannot see what the incoming signal is, though, as I cannot display the full signal input/output information because the on screen display doesn't work with my Denon X3300W when a Dolby Vision signal is passed through. I need to find something in my library with HDR10 and Atmos to see exactly what I am getting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And I think they’ve corrected all those films that weren’t playing in Atmos too.
That’s correct, I went through my entire digital library this morning and every title that has the Dolby Atmos designation is actually playing in Atmos which wasn’t the case just a few weeks ago.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I wonder what percentage of users actually have a full Atmos set up?

I think it’s more going to be users with Atmos sound bars rather than full set-ups. I would love to see Apple make an Atmos enabled HomePod-type thing in the future...

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

In this case I am VERY happy to be wrong. :) Hopefully Netflix will follow suit.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
From Apple:

“The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder packs the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless PCM audio.”

Thanks for this. Looks like I made an incorrect assumption based on recent experiences with Netflix.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does anyone know if this means the ATV (at least gen 4 and 4K) can stream HD audio from iTunes? Once I run the firmware update, I might do an experiment and see if I can find out. I guess I'll try an mkv with a 7.1 HD soundtrack and see if it shows up as 7.1 at my preamp. For that matter, I should try an Atmos soundtrack.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I think it’s more going to be users with Atmos sound bars rather than full set-ups. I would love to see Apple make an Atmos enabled HomePod-type thing in the future...

I've always wondered how an Atmos Sound Bar works when it's basically one rectangle set of speakers sitting above or below a TV.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I've always wondered how an Atmos Sound Bar works when it's basically one rectangle set of speakers sitting above or below a TV.

A lot of times when you read “soundbar” they actually come with 2 rear speakers as well.

Vizio just today came out with a package for $500 that includes soundbar, 2 rears, and sub, all powered.

It’s obviously not even close to a real set-up but if room/budget necessitate a bar it’s still a very welcome upgrade.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/18/vizio-dolby-atmos-home-theater-available/

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino,
After going through my entire iTunes digital library, the Christine's aspect ratio is now correct on iTunes and in 4K Dolby Vision.

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Does this mean Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 and not just surround is now available on iTunes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks