What's new

Forgotten Films (1 Viewer)

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I've been thinking about some of the films that haven't been released in BR and aren't likely to be in the foreseeable future. This thread is intended to be a place to talk about these under-rated gems. Please feel free to add any more films that you feel should belong here:

Rasputin (1996) - Alan Rickman in the title role with Ian McKellen as Tsar Nicholas II and supporting roles from David Warner and John Wood; great historical biopic that only has an out of production DVD going for £30 a time to show for it (currently taking very good care of my VHS copy). Just to add insult to injury, the lame Hammer Horror got a BR release no problem.

Twins (1988) - Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito both excel in this great Ivan Reitman comedy with some sterling performances all round; still bemused as to why this film has been left behind. Comedy classic with some very poignant drama.

Multiplicity (1996) - Harold Ramis comedy that doesn't get as much attention as Groundhog Day, Caddyshack, Analyze This et al but fantastic 4-way performance from Michael Keaton that has me in hysterics every time I watch it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think there's a decent shot that Twins could come out; Universal has been releasing some catalog titles in the past few years, and they did Kindergarten Cop not too long ago. I wouldn't be shocked to see that coming out at some point, possibly as one of those releases that's retailer exclusive to Best Buy or Walmart for the first few months. I'd love to see a double feature release with Twins and Junior. There was a rumor a while ago about a Twins 3 with Eddie Murphy joining the cast; maybe Universal is waiting for something like that to tie a release to. Shout Factory has also been putting out Universal titles lately, and this seems like something they could go for.

Multiplicity seems like something that Sony could let go to one of their third-party partners; maybe Mill Creek? I haven't seen that movie in ages but I agree that Michael Keaton was fantastic in it. I'd buy it if someone put it out.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
UFOria (1985) with Fred Ward, Cindy Williams, and Harry Dean Stanton. A funny film that is only on VHS tape which I have.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I've been thinking about some of the films that haven't been released in BR and aren't likely to be in the foreseeable future. This thread is intended to be a place to talk about these under-rated gems. Please feel free to add any more films that you feel should belong here:

Rasputin (1996) - Alan Rickman in the title role with Ian McKellen as Tsar Nicholas II and supporting roles from David Warner and John Wood; great historical biopic that only has an out of production DVD going for £30 a time to show for it (currently taking very good care of my VHS copy). Just to add insult to injury, the lame Hammer Horror got a BR release no problem.

Twins (1988) - Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito both excel in this great Ivan Reitman comedy with some sterling performances all round; still bemused as to why this film has been left behind. Comedy classic with some very poignant drama.

Multiplicity (1996) - Harold Ramis comedy that doesn't get as much attention as Groundhog Day, Caddyshack, Analyze This et al but fantastic 4-way performance from Michael Keaton that has me in hysterics every time I watch it.
RASPUTIN is an HBO movie from the era before SEX AND THE CITY and THE SOPRANOS; programming from the channel's "prehistory" can be difficult to find.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Road to Wellville (1994) - The film wasn't a success, but it's so unusual and, to me at least, enjoyable that I'd love to have it on Blu-ray. Unfortunately, even the DVD is out of print and is going for hugely-inflated prices on the secondary market.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Road To Wellville was partially filmed at a location that my parents would take the family to visit on vacations - we’d do hiking and apple picking, that kind of thing. So naturally, when my 10 or 11 year old movie buff self found out there was a movie just filmed at the place we always went to on vacation, I wanted to see it. My parents had no clue what the movie was about so they let me rent it.

I tell ya, a ten year old can learn a lot from that film! :D

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
The Road To Wellville Blu ray is available in Germany. I own it and it is a decent upgrade from the DVD. However, it is Region B locked.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The Road To Wellville Blu ray is available in Germany. I own it and it is a decent upgrade from the DVD. However, it is Region B locked.
I'm down for that! Getting hold of films that haven't been released in the U.S. is exactly the reason I've had a region-free player of one kind or another for years! Thanks for the info.

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
Night Shift (1982) I don't think and HD master exists for this anywhere. Not sure what the hold up is.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There is an HD master of Night Shift. It pops up from time to time on the movie channels.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Another one you'd think would be out in blu, or at least an anamorphic DVD. It has a well-known star (Oscar-nominated for the role) and was a substantial hit when it was released. It's also from a major studio that is a major player in home video. Star: Richard Dreyfuss. Studio: Disney in Touchstone banner. Film: Mr. Holland's Opus.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm still waiting for a DVD with English subtitles of the 1995 LES MISERABLES with Jean-Paul
Belmondo. I continue to hang onto my VHS set, but have no idea why this brilliant film isn't
out on BOTH DVD and Blu-Ray.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Birdy (1984) - Matthew Modine plays a teenager who is obsessed with birds and believes he has the potential to fly like a bird; Nicholas Cage plays his long suffering best friend; directed by Alan Parker of Midnight Express and Evita fame; got an obscure DVD release in France but has otherwise been forgotten.

Pacific Heights (1990) - Michael Keaton stars as a psychotic problem tenant and makes life hell for Matthew Modine and Melanie Griffith; Korean DVD release and nothing since.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Birdy (1984) - Matthew Modine plays a teenager who is obsessed with birds and believes he has the potential to fly like a bird; Nicholas Cage plays his long suffering best friend; directed by Alan Parker of Midnight Express and Evita fame; got an obscure DVD release in France but has otherwise been forgotten.

Pacific Heights (1990) - Michael Keaton stars as a psychotic problem tenant and makes life hell for Matthew Modine and Melanie Griffith; Korean DVD release and nothing since.
I have been waiting for BIRDY for years. Superb film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm still waiting for a DVD with English subtitles of the 1995 LES MISERABLES with Jean-Paul
Belmondo. I continue to hang onto my VHS set, but have no idea why this brilliant film isn't
out on BOTH DVD and Blu-Ray.
I have the LD because it's widescreen. Wonderful film!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Missing:

Ash Wednesday
(1973) Elizabeth Taylor undergoes plastic surgery to save her marriage to Henry Fonda.
Dramma Della Gelosia (1970) Released in the U.S. as The Pizza Triangle. With Marcello Mastroianni and Monica Vitti.
Lady Caroline Lamb (1973) Robert Bolt's directorial debut with Richard Chamberlain as Byron and Sarah Miles as his mistress.
The Oscar (1966) Tawdry and trashy Hollywood tale with Stephen Boyd, Elke Sommer, Ernest Borgnine, Eleanor Parker and Jill St. John.
Out Of The Blue (1947) Delightful screwball comedy with George Brent, Viriginia Mayo and Ann Dvorak.
Stepping Out (1991) Liza Minnelli teaches a dance class with Shelley Winters at the piano.
The Stranger (1967) Luchino Visconti directs Marcello Mastroianni in this adpatation of the Albert Camus novel.
That Certain Feeling (1956) Bob Hope comedy with Eva Marie Saint and George Sanders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks