What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Despite the box office and Oscar winning success of A Man for All Seasons (1966), it would be several years before director Fred Zinnemann got behind the camera for another film, owing to issues with money and the decaying Hollywood studio system, which abruptly axed his next project – an adaptation of the novel Man’s Fate – just as it was about to start shooting in 1969 with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. When he did get back to filming, the result – an adaptation of Frederick Forsyth’s bestselling novel The Day of the Jackal – became an instant classic of suspense and reaffirmed his status as a master filmmaker. Now, Arrow Films brings this masterful gem of 1970’s cinema to Blu-ray in a wonderful release.

The Day of the Jackal (1973)

Released: 30 Jul 1973
Rated: PG
Runtime: 143 min

Director: Fred Zinnemann
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Cast: Edward Fox...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Glad to read the positive review. I pre-ordered this at announcement, but I was still holding onto the old DVD just in case. Now I can put it with the large lot of DVD's I'm about to donate to charity. I'm looking forward to it!

MacmaninSB

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey McFarland
We just watched this disk and discovered that there occurred production errors beginning in the 6th chapter and continued through out chapter 7. There were freeze-frames, jerky cuts and loss of dialogue. As the dis was new and never been played, we were disappointed and gave up after having cleaned the disc and checked the blu-ray player of dust and alignment. The film deserves better treatment but I will not attempt to return it for exchange, as I feel quite certain that the difficulties will remain.
I cannot in good conscience donate it to the library or to charity.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That sounds like a replication error affecting a single unit, not a fault in the entire production run. You got a defective copy. You should absolutely return it in exchange for a new one.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
That sounds like a replication error affecting a single unit, not a fault in the entire production run. You got a defective copy. You should absolutely return it in exchange for a new one.

Yes, I didn't have those errors. Send it back for a replacement! It's a beautiful transfer.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
We just watched this disk and discovered that there occurred production errors beginning in the 6th chapter and continued through out chapter 7. There were freeze-frames, jerky cuts and loss of dialogue. As the dis was new and never been played, we were disappointed and gave up after having cleaned the disc and checked the blu-ray player of dust and alignment. The film deserves better treatment but I will not attempt to return it for exchange, as I feel quite certain that the difficulties will remain.

You simply have defective disc. Contact the retailer for replacement.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Why do you feel it's not just your disc when several others here and on Bluray.com aren't having the same problem?
Just ran my US Arrow copy through without a glitch -- ended up watching most of the movie too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks