What's new

Orson Welles' THE STRANGER (1 Viewer)

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
I bought the Kino DVD of THE STRANGER a while back because it listed "original theatrical trailer" among the extras. It turned out to be a faux trailer. The original survives and is on youtube. Can anyone tell me if any DVD or

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I bought the Kino DVD of THE STRANGER a while back because it listed "original theatrical trailer" among the extras. It turned out to be a faux trailer. The original survives and is on youtube. Can anyone tell me if any DVD or

I love this film! It was one of the ten film noirs included on Shout Factory's 2-Disc Film Noir Collection DVD release that I purchased: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/film-noir-collection?product_id=3255.

It is a barebones set; none of the films in the collection are remastered or cleaned up and no trailers are included.

I just ordered the Kino DVD of The Stranger yesterday.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have the Olive Films edition, which does have the trailer. It also seems to be a better transfer than the Kino and off pre-print materials instead of a print.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the Olive Films edition, which does have the trailer. It also seems to be a better transfer than the Kino and off pre-print materials instead of a print.
There has been some discussion as to which is better in a couple of different threads. I not only own both Blu-ray releases, but I've kept the MGM DVD from 2007 too. I know watched each disc, but I can't remember which disc I thought was superior.:rolleyes: Anyhow, Eddie Muller is showing this on Noir Alley tonight on TCM. I'm going to revisit these discs this weekend and do some comparison sampling between all three discs and make note of my findings in my thread.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I have the Olive Films Bluray. It's the Best version so far. I Love this movie ! The Red House (1947) needs a better transfer. From Olive, Kino Lorber, or ClassicFlix !

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There has been some discussion as to which is better in a couple of different threads. I not only own both Blu-ray releases, but I've kept the MGM DVD from 2007 too. I know watched each disc, but I can't remember which disc I thought was superior.:rolleyes: Anyhow, Eddie Muller is showing this on Noir Alley tonight on TCM. I'm going to revisit these discs this weekend and do some comparison sampling between all three discs and make note of my findings in my thread.
I am looking forward to Eddie's comments on the movie.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This was also released in blu by HD Cinema Classics. Would love to know which version is the best. I have Kino's but would double dip for the right price/version.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I prefer the Olive release over the Kino because the Kino was a little too bright and has more film damage than the Olive release. Still have the old Laserlight dvd release with the Tony Curtis intro wearing his black gloves.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Looking forward to your findings... I don't own this in any format (which is a surprise, since I would've sworn I had the MGM DVD), so I'm looking for input as to which version to get.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Searching through my collection, I didn't find a copy of The Stranger on any format. But I have seen it fairly recently (within the last year) and when I went to Amazon to see what they offered for purchase, I got my answer. I streamed it for free on Prime.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Searching through my collection, I didn't find a copy of The Stranger on any format. But I have seen it fairly recently (within the last year) and when I went to Amazon to see what they offered for purchase, I got my answer. I streamed it for free on Prime.
Just make sure people stream the HD version between the two Prime versions.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
The MGM DVD and the Olive blu-ray disc are the superior transfers, however, the those discs have a "clipped ending." There is a longer shot of Edward G. Robinson smoking his pipe in the clock tower. The Kino disc has less of a quality picture overall but the original ending scene is intact. The scene is like a gag at the very end.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I have a question about the Olive Films Blu-ray release. I just received it today and was putting the disc through its paces to make sure that it was all readable. What I noticed was a strangeness in the chapter divisions.

StrangerMenu.jpg

There are eight chapter divisions listed, cleverly labeled with Roman numerals. If I select chapter VIII, it does indeed go to that final chapter of the film, but my Blu-ray player, a Sony, reports that it is chapter 9(10). Similarly, pick VII, and it goes to the pictured chapter but the player reports that it's 8(10).

Backing up, it seems that an Olive Films logo is really chapter 1, and the film begins with the MGM logo at chapter 2.

Do other Olives Films owners have this same experience? It's certainly not a big deal - just an authoring glitch I suppose. Just curious.

I first stumbled on THE STRANGER way back around 1981 or 82. My wife and I were living in an apartment with a weird cable set-up, and I spotted this movie starting one morning on the old CBN network. For some reason, in those old analog days, CBN's prints of things always looked a little bit better than most, and this movie print was nice and clean - enough for me to enjoy the picture.

I haven't really seen the film since, but curiosity got me to watch part of a wonky streaming version on Amazon. And then I ordered this Blu-ray. I'd had enough of bad PD prints.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One thing about The Stranger is there have been around eleven dvd and Blu-ray releases and i have five of them in my collection.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I had the Olive disc and I think I observed the same thing. I have it in storage now so I can’t pull it to double check, but that may have been their way to add the logo to the disc without actually appending it to the file that contained the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks