What's new

How to Frame a Figg (1971)- coming 10/9/18 to Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
71mJ4D1RqjL._SX466_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/How-Frame-Figg-Blu-ray-Knotts/dp/B07HGGQ32G?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1537547403&sr

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The title alone will assure that I, at least, will never order it.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I agree completely. This is a fun film. And no one was better at playing the corrupt and pompous archetype of sleazy politician than Edward Andrews. More Hi Def of the delectable Yvonne Craig is welcome also.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While not my favorite Don Knott's film, I'll certainly be buying it. Now how about the remaining Universal films:
  • The Reluctant Astronaut
  • The Shakiest Gun in the West*
  • The Love God?

*EDIT: Well, looks like TSGinW is also coming out, I wonder if the others are also on their way?

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news I will buy any of the Don Knotts films on Blu Ray. Interesting that Universal released the 1st Knotts film: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken and then skipped all the way to his 5th film. Skipping the more popular The Reluctant Astronaut and Shakiest Gun in the west.
Update: I see they did also announce Shakiest Gun. Wish it was Reluctant Astronaut as that is my favorite of his Universal films.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
1167B9E7-B668-4428-818B-CF2EB2CEF437.jpeg
While not my favorite Don Knott's film, I'll certainly be buying it. Now how about the remaining Universal films:
  • The Reluctant Astronaut
  • The Shakiest Gun in the West*
  • The Love God?

*EDIT: Well, looks like TSGinW is also coming out, I wonder if the others are also on their way?
The Reluctant Astronaut is coming in October too....just waiting for Amazon to post the link

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
It's not really a family film. even today. I think the DVD was PG-13. Could be released later separately if they are doing a joint press release for the others.
View attachment 49979
You may very well be right. However, The Love God? has always been lumped in with the other Knotts Universal DVDs (which can't be said for How to Frame a Figg). That said, I've always found it funny how Knotts seems to be over-emphasizing in the How to Frame a Figg trailer how family friendly the film is. Perhaps after The Love God? assurances had to be made. :D Shades of Fred MacMurray getting slapped by that irate mother who thought that The Apartment was family friendly?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've never understood Universal including The Love God? in the original Don Knotts "Franchise Collection" and leaving out How to Frame a Figg. While I enjoy The Love God? it just doesn't fit in with the other movies in that collection. It doesn't really fit in the 5 movie set either, but at least How to Frame a Figg was included in that one.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I have HOW TO FRAME A FIGG on VHS and the others on DVD in this set, which I purchased quite cheaply in 2012:

Don Knotts Reluctant Hero Pack (4 films/2 discs) Universal:

THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN (1966)

THE RELUCTANT ASTRONAUT (1967)

THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST (1968)

THE LOVE GOD? (1969)

I only watched THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN recently for the first time and have yet to see the others. Here's what I wrote in my viewing log after seeing GHOST:
The character actors are the film’s saving grace. Knotts is a chore to take in anything but small doses. I tried watching THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST, but couldn’t last five minutes.

I started watching HOW TO FRAME A FIGG years ago and couldn't get past the first few minutes. I prefer Knotts in things like IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, where he hardly says anything and just has to react to Phil Silvers, and THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET--where he's animated for most of it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So... now that they're all on single BR releases - where's the box set? I want them all but would prefer a box set release. I know that just as soon as I cave and pick up the singles a box will be announced.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have HOW TO FRAME A FIGG on VHS and the others on DVD in this set, which I purchased quite cheaply in 2012:

Don Knotts Reluctant Hero Pack (4 films/2 discs) Universal:

THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN (1966)

THE RELUCTANT ASTRONAUT (1967)

THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST (1968)

THE LOVE GOD? (1969)

I only watched THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN recently for the first time and have yet to see the others. Here's what I wrote in my viewing log after seeing GHOST:

I started watching HOW TO FRAME A FIGG years ago and couldn't get past the first few minutes. I prefer Knotts in things like IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, where he hardly says anything and just has to react to Phil Silvers, and THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET--where he's animated for most of it.
IMHO, Knotts' films are something you either love or hate. It doesn't hurt to have been at just the right age when they were originally released. I was, at least for the first 3 (I turned 11 in 1966).

How to Frame a Figg fits with the first 3 so well it's hard to believe it was released in 1971, 3 years after The Shakiest Gun... with all 4 feeling like they should have been released within a couple of years instead of being spread out over a 5 year period. While they all kind of feel the same (similar feeling plots, music [it's been a while but memory tells me the music is identical in many situations], resolutions) I loved all of them as a kid - still do. In many ways they remind me of Barney Fife in execution. But I also can't take them in huge doses and need to spread out the viewings over several days/weeks simply because they kind of run together if I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks