What's new

Multiple series with one character name... (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
For those who have two or more series in your collection with one lead character's first name (not cast member's name) among the cast (I myself have several w/Mike: two detective series [The Streets of San Francisco & Mike Hammer, the latter w/the late Darren McGavin in the title role], and one comedy [The Brady Bunch, where the late Robert Reed was Mike Brady]), is there one of those series that you like better than the others? The reason I ask is because having finished that police/detective series w/the Mike character (The Streets of San Francisco, the late, great Karl Malden as Lt. Mike Stone), it might take me a while to warm up to the comedy I have w/the Mike character (The Brady Bunch).

Also, what character names do you have multiple series with in your collection?

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Hmmm...not a question that's ever occurred to me, I must admit. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few series in my collection where the lead characters share the same first name. For example, Steve Austin (Lee Majors) in The Six Million Dollar Man and Steve Douglas (Fred MacMurray) in My Three Sons. Then there's 3 Jims: West, Phelps and Rockford. Of those, I'd probably have to choose the bionic Steve and the P.I. who drives a Firebird as my favorites.

That's why it's nice to have unusual character names, like Cheyenne, Yancy, Paladin, Barnaby or Buffy. ;)

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hmmm...not a question that's ever occurred to me, I must admit. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few series in my collection where the lead characters share the same first name. For example, Steve Austin (Lee Majors) in The Six Million Dollar Man and Steve Douglas (Fred MacMurray) in My Three Sons. Then there's 3 Jims: West, Phelps and Rockford. Of those, I'd probably have to choose the bionic Steve and the P.I. who drives a T-bird as my favorites.

That's why it's nice to have unusual character names, like Cheyenne, Yancy, Paladin, Barnaby or Buffy. ;)

True-- I have at least two Jim series myself: Jim West on The Wild Wild West, and Capt. Jim Kirk on O-R NBC Star Trek.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
D'oh! How could I forget Kirk! Of course...I'm sure there are more Jims I'm forgetting beyond that. The main thing is, I think most of us don't think Jim, so much as Kirk. Ditto West, Phelps, Rockford, etc. The surname is the important one.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
D'oh! How could I forget Kirk! Of course...I'm sure there are more Jims I'm forgetting beyond that. The main thing is, I think most of us don't think Jim, so much as Kirk. Ditto West, Phelps, Rockford, etc. The surname is the important one.

Good point! BTW, why is the surname the common denominator?

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well, to me, it seems likely that most writers spend more time thinking up the last names of characters, looking for something catchy or memorable...especially if the characters are cops, private eyes, spies, cowboys etc. It just seems a natural thing to focus on, since most of the other characters will likely refer to them (the lead) by their last names. Again, I'm just spitballing here, no real answers for you.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Chip Saunders COMBAT!, Chip Douglas MY THREE SONS, Chipper the dog in LAND OF THE GIANTS, or was that Clipper?

There was a Barnaby in WAGON TRAIN.

Betty in BARNABY JONES and THE FLINTSTONES.

Wilma in THE FLINTSTONES and BUCK ROGERS.

Buck in Buck Rogers, BUCK JAMES (Dennis Weaver show)

Sam in McCLOUD, FELONY SQUAD, CHEERS, QUANTUM LEAP.

This could be endless like that six degrees game.

Jane Hathaway, Jane Rizzoli, Patrick Jane... oops first names only?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
David Silver (90210, David Collins (Dark Shadows), David Banner (The Incredible Hulk)...

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The only ones that comes to mind in my collection is Tony Nelson (I Dream of Jeannie) and Tony Soprano (The Sopranos).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks