What's new

DVD's on a 4K TV? (1 Viewer)

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Has anyone played regular DVD's on a 4K TV? If so, how do they look?

I'm planning on getting a 55" Sony XBR 900F 4K TV but I still have a lot of movies on DVD and TV shows I recorded with a Panasonic DVD recorder. I'm hoping I'll be able to watch some of it.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone played regular DVD's on a 4K TV? If so, how do they look?

I'm planning on getting a 55" Sony XBR 900F 4K TV but I still have a lot of movies on DVD and TV shows I recorded with a Panasonic DVD recorder. I'm hoping I'll be able to watch some of it.
Just about every week I watched DVDs on my LG OLED with no issues. For the most part they look great. I've been watching "From the Earth to the Moon" on DVD the last couple of days. This twelve part series never looked better in my opinion. Looks great upconverted to 4K.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As long as it's a decent DVD transfer, it looks fine on my 70-inch Vizio M series display. I actually do all the upscaling via my Sony X800 UHD player, though, as I think it does a slightly better job of upscaling than the Vizio display. However, I would have been happy with the results from the Vizio had I not compared it with the Sony player.

Reactions: PMF

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
I have a lot of DVD's and don't plan on replacing all of them with either Blu-Ray or 4K discs. I'm sure not all movies and TV shows will make it to Blu-Ray and 4K discs so I'll always have DVD's to watch.

I was also considering just getting a High Definition TV instead of a 4K TV so the DVD's will need less upscaling.

Right now I have an RCA glass tube standard definition TV that's 21 years old. I had a Sony 27" glass tube Trinitron that was also 21 years old that stopped working a few months ago. I really like the picture of the old glass tube TV's. The colors and black level always looked great.

They don't make those anymore and I don't know how much longer my RCA will keep working. It's obvious it's time for an upgrade. I like Sony TV's and almost all of the TV's they make now are 4K. I guess it makes more sense to get a 4K TV now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, you're going to be hard press to find a TV that isn't 4K as most retailers only carry such displays.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No one is making High Definition TV's anymore?

I wouldn't let the idea of additional upscaling required for DVD's to deter you from buying a 4K display. Personally, I think my DVDs look better on my 4K 70-inch Vizio than they did on my old 67-inch 1080p Samsung DLP set. My Blu-ray discs look better, as well.

You can still buy 1080p high definition displays, but your selection will be more limited, and you will have a difficult time finding anything really large. We did purchase a 49-inch Samsung 1080p set back the Spring for under $300. This display was for our condo in South Carolina (we got it at the Best Buy in Myrtle Beach). We wanted something larger than the 32-inch display that was there, as we spend more time there now that I am retired. However, we also rent out the condo when we are not there, so I didn't want an expensive display. Plus, we have no 4K source components in the condo. So, in this case a 1080p display made more sense.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have the Sony XBR 900E for about a year and plays the dvd's just fine on my Panasonic blu-ray player after some minor adjustments of the tv settings.

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Have the Sony XBR 900E for about a year and plays the dvd's just fine on my Panasonic blu-ray player after some minor adjustments of the tv settings.

How do you like the Sony XBR 900E?

The 4K TV I'm leaning towards getting is the Sony XBR 900F.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Love the 900E....no issues and what a great looking picture. The only negative is the speakers and had to buy a soundbar.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Right now I have an RCA glass tube standard definition TV that's 21 years old. I had a Sony 27" glass tube Trinitron that was also 21 years old that stopped working a few months ago. I really like the picture of the old glass tube TV's. The colors and black level always looked great...
If you like the CRT look, you're probably better off looking at OLEDs. And if the price is too high, you could always pick up a second-hand plasma.

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
If you like the CRT look, you're probably better off looking at OLEDs. And if the price is too high, you could always pick up a second-hand plasma.

I don't like buying used electronics and Plasma isn't being made anymore. I'm trying to get away from the old technologies.

I did look at some OLED's but they have a tendency to get burn in which seems like a step back for the LED/LCD technology. The Sony XBR 900F I'll most likely get looks just about as good as an OLED. The black level is very good and the colors are very accurate. I saw one next to a Sony OLED and the differences in the picture looked minimal. The Sony XBR 900F won't get burn in, has very accurate color, excellent black level and excellent motion. In fact a few reviews said it's color and shadow detail are better than OLED.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't like buying used electronics and Plasma isn't being made anymore. I'm trying to get away from the old technologies.

I did look at some OLED's but they have a tendency to get burn in which seems like a step back for the LED/LCD technology. The Sony XBR 900F I'll most likely get looks just about as good as an OLED. The black level is very good and the colors are very accurate. I saw one next to a Sony OLED and the differences in the picture looked minimal. The Sony XBR 900F won't get burn in, has very accurate color, excellent black level and excellent motion. In fact a few reviews said it's color and shadow detail are better than OLED.
It’s your money, buy what appeals to you.

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
I really appreciate all the great feedback and ideas I've gotten here. I'll always prefer the look of a CRT but unfortunately it's not being made anymore and it's time for me to move forward. LED TV's have gotten a lot better in the last few years and look more like TV's. Years ago when I first saw LCDs and LEDs they looked more like computer monitors but they have improved a whole lot. I do like the OLEDs but the tendency for burn in and the higher cost had me look at some LEDs. I had worked as a technician in broadcast television so I have a good idea of what to look for in a display. The Sony 900F comes about as close to the look of an OLED as I've seen.

Now I just hope my DVD collection looks good on it. LOL

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree. Provided the DVD master was done with care, you'll be very happy with the results on your 4K television. Honestly, I played the Margaret Rutherford/Miss Marple movie Murder Most Foul on DVD last week, and I was hard pressed to believe that it wasn't at least Blu-ray quality, and the upconversion was a joy to behold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks