What's new

Deepdiscount sales (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I noticed we don't have a regular "Sales" thread for Deepdiscount.com. These guys are owned by the same company who owns DVDPlanet.com and several other sites. I've used them for years and have found to be reliable, although CS isn't the best. Pay close attention to prices as they aren't what they once were and will often have general sales on items which will end just when a % off code sale begins, often making many items more expensive during a sale than before.

That said, they're currently offering a 10% or 15% off "Buy more, save more" sale on select Halloween/Horror titles (link on the %s):

DD-HalloweenBMSM-0918-Rhero.jpg

Reactions: PMF

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Thanks for starting this thread. I've had generally good luck with DeepDiscount by paying close attention to the prices. Also, if you use Ebates, they offer 3% cash back on your purchase. Ebates also does a deal with the WBShop which is great when there is a Warner Archive sale.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find some good deals there, but their search function is next to useless. I was trying to find a couple books and a CD today and searching by author or artist is impossible. I had to go through all kinds of contortions to find things.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Most likely. It's Friday and I'm running out of juice. -_-
A coworker came in this morning with his usual "Is it Friday yet?" to which I replied "No... sorry... OH WAIT!!! IT *IS*!!" But it feels more like a Monday...

I had a check up at the Dr.'s office this morning that had been rescheduled a couple of months back but I went today as I failed to update my calendar and had filed the reminder they'd sent. Wouldn't have been so bad, it's .5 mile from where I start my day, but I didn't eat as they normally draw blood and there were donuts at the office... at least it was a 9am apt. so... I snagged one when I got back and used it as desert for the egg sandwich I'd made (scrambled egg, sharp Vermont white cheddar, blueberry jam, wheat bread) for after the apt.

And, yes, their search is very bad. I'll frequently resort to Amazon, get their URL, put it in at camelcamelcamel, get the UPC from the product details there, put that in the search box at DD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Nothing special but can be good for taking advantage of "The Deal of the Day" specials. I expect at least a 15% off code by BF.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I'm not sure how a measly 10% off equates to "super holiday prices".

It's also laughable that they can say "everything on the site is on sale" in big print, then the little * at the bottom contradicts that. But, "Hurry - don't miss these savings!" :lol:

Thanks, but pass.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The code is in addition to the current "Site-Wide Winter Sale" which is what they're talking about. They're basically combing the text of the current site sale with the 10% coupon code. There are lots of marginally lower prices to which you can apply the code. It's nothing special and, if past sales are any indication, most things will be cheaper later this month during BF week and there'll be a 15% off code to boot.

FWIW - they rarely, if ever, allow code use with video game products but they *are* part of the "Winter Sale" although I've never been too impressed with their video game prices.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, I'm not sure how a measly 10% off equates to "super holiday prices".

It's also laughable that they can say "everything on the site is on sale" in big print, then the little * at the bottom contradicts that. But, "Hurry - don't miss these savings!" :lol:

Thanks, but pass.
I did use the code to get some items that were already relatively cheaper than other sites (+ no sales tax currently for me):
Qty Item # Description Price (including 10% off)
1 741952845997 Les Parents Terribles $18.89
1 888574665227 Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) $12.69
1 888574571528 Superman (Extended Cut and Special Edition 2-Film Collection) - $12.21

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

The 10% was extended until Friday, the 9th with a new code and $$ minimum. There are still a few good deals to be had (I'm looking very hard at the new BR of The Time Tunnel) but I'm still expecting a slightly better code come BF week.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I used to buy from them almost exclusively but, as noted, prices are not what they used to be.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Same here. I still long for the time when their name actually meant something and you could *always* count on them to have the lowest everyday price. Period.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I used to buy from them almost exclusively but, as noted, prices are not what they used to be.

When were they you Go-to store or when they become your not go-to and why? I'm going to guess mid to late 2000's or early 2010's.

Basically about the time they priced themselves into bankruptcy and had to be rescued or die.

It's really not too hard to develop a very loyal following if you are willing the lose tons of money every year.
Early 2000's they could afford it since there was far less competition -- or at least competition on price.
Best Buy has loads of titles and shelves of merchandise, but at prices nobody would even consider purchasing at now, Amazon hadn't really starting competing on Media, and a DVD selling for $14-15 was considered a steal since many of the Laserdisc Converts were used to paying $25-35 a decade before. I say that looking at my purchase history in DVDProfiler where I am astonished at the prices I regularly paid during "steep sales."

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess I was looking for some general harder dates and why your buying habits changed away from DD (or why DD changed). I'd say the 3 phases of DD/DDD explain different situations

Since all of this is off topic I'll spoiler it all -- or the mods can dispose of it all if it's just too far off base
(Note -- Made up numbers to illustrate things)
1) 2000-2007 when they significantly profitable and were lower than most stores that really weren't trying to compete online and on price. There selling a $10 item $15 on sale when everyone else is selling it for $18-25 with a healthy profit margin on each item. They had the discount side to themselves b/c most people still weren't thinking online.

2) if you were buying from them when their prices were better than everyone, but they were hemorrhaging money b/c their prices were too low (2008-2011 Recession plus all out assault by multiple well funded online companies incl Amz), way underwater and either in or discussing bankruptcy/closing proceedings. Good for you in the short term, but literally suicidal for DD. They're selling $10 item for $8 to try to keep their customer base and max their cash flow at the expense of any profit as their competition including Amazon are now selling it for $10.25 or ALLIANCE is buying all the discount stores and selling it for $9.50 (with a very large war chest being maintained on their Wholesale Business of supplying MEDIA).

By 2010/2011 they were dead in the water, floating funds from month to month using next months revenue to pay 3 months ago bills leading to all sorts of bad things happening to customers -- non deliveries, no response from CSR who stopped answering the phone at all while charging customers CC and 'losing' packages for weeks or months at a time, refunding one customer finally with another customers funds while not delivering Customer B items either. Plus other 'emergency' tactics bordering (if not way over) the fraud line according to a few folks I talked to who knew a little of their accounting. There are lots of reasons why the Dark Ages destroyed their reputation among many Old Loyal customers who to this day won't touch them with a 50 foot harpoon.

3) If you were using them mainly after they were rescued (by SuperD/Alliance -- not so coincidentally) and instituted prices that were at least marginally profitable with good, but not stupid prices (2012-2017). DD has middle of road prices with occasionally very good sales now like most stores rather than to undercut everybody all the time on everything by 20%.

I almost never used them in Phase 1 preferring a couple online stores I was very loyal to from the Laserdisc Days. I skipped to Amazon for most of Phase 2 and honestly never had much of issue with DDD. My DD experiences didn't really start until Phase 3 after things were fixed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks