What's new

Apple Fall event official for October 30th (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mr. Cook I don't feel so good!
vTrIU7x.jpg

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That’s a very good guess, Ron.

Personally, I’m hoping for a quad core Mac Mini refresh. I want a good macOS Plex and iTunes server for the home.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Personally, I’m hoping for a quad core Mac Mini refresh. I want a good macOS Plex and iTunes server for the home.
That just has to be on the docket. Apple seems to like announcing Minis in the Fall. Probably because then they've cleared out the riffraff with the bigger computers all year, and the only ones left are those who really just want a Mini. The current Mini is old, and it's pretty universally thought to have been a fail, it seems to me. Give me a quad core Mini with socketed RAM and I'm probably in for three of them.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
If Apple doesn't announce an update to the Mac mini I will quite disappointed. 2019 will likely be the year we upgrade the Booth Bijou Garage Theater to a 4K HDR projector and my current Mac mini doesn't do 4K. I know the current (in-store) mini does 4K, but its specs are just too wimpy for me to consider it.

Come on Apple, daddy needs a new home theater PC! :)

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

I hope it happens for you.

If I can offer any hope, there has been a tremendous amount of speculation across all the Mac websites about a new Mini for this year.

Of course, now I am just raising your hopes for the big letdown....

No, really, I'm very optimistic.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It's okay, Ron... I've already been reading those other sites. :) I visit MacRumors and iMore multiple times per day, every day. :)

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

I am a nut about Apple sites. I read them twice a day. Those are two great sites you mentioned. My favorites are 9to5mac and 9to5toys. The latter costing me more and more money each month.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If Apple doesn't announce an update to the Mac mini I will quite disappointed. 2019 will likely be the year we upgrade the Booth Bijou Garage Theater to a 4K HDR projector and my current Mac mini doesn't do 4K. I know the current (in-store) mini does 4K, but its specs are just too wimpy for me to consider it.

Come on Apple, daddy needs a new home theater PC! :)

Mark
What's your Mac HTPC software selection? In 2016, my conclusion was Windows was the best option for a media computer, so I'm curious how a Mac works for the purpose.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, @Ronald Epstein what seems to be the consensus regarding a new Mini? I see conjecture of a complete redesign, maybe even two levels, kind of like the iMac.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't have a personal interest in the mini, though perhaps one day I will for HTPC purposes. For that reason, I really didn't read into the headlines. The last thing I read was something possibly larger in size than what exists now.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
What's your Mac HTPC software selection? In 2016, my conclusion was Windows was the best option for a media computer, so I'm curious how a Mac works for the purpose.

I use iPhoto (yes, I still use iPhoto) for a slide show (trivia, turn off your cell phones, that kind of thing) with background music as guests are seating themselves. I switch over to VLC to play my pre-queued string of videos for the pre-movie entertainment (custom Booth Bijou intros, "Let's All Go to the Lobby", coming attractions trailers, etc.).

So I don't use "home theater software" per se. And I don't see any reason to. Thanks to an RF remote and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I can play projectionist and present a pretty darn smooth presentation.

BTW, all films are played from Blu-ray. I queue up the movie in the Blu-ray player before showtime and pause it right at the start. Then, after the pre-movie stuff is played by VLC I press a button on my RF remote and the AV receiver switches inputs from HTPC to Blu-ray and then the movie starts.

Mark

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I use iPhoto (yes, I still use iPhoto) for a slide show (trivia, turn off your cell phones, that kind of thing) with background music as guests are seating themselves. I switch over to VLC to play my pre-queued string of videos for the pre-movie entertainment (custom Booth Bijou intros, "Let's All Go to the Lobby", coming attractions trailers, etc.).

So I don't use "home theater software" per se. And I don't see any reason to. Thanks to an RF remote and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I can play projectionist and present a pretty darn smooth presentation.

BTW, all films are played from Blu-ray. I queue up the movie in the Blu-ray player before showtime and pause it right at the start. Then, after the pre-movie stuff is played by VLC I press a button on my RF remote and the AV receiver switches inputs from HTPC to Blu-ray and then the movie starts.

Mark
Mark,

I love how you do this!
Can you give us specifics on which VLC version you use and how you load coming attractions? Also, which remote do you use?

Thanks,

Raul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks