What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Spy Who Dumped Me -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Spy Who Dumped Me, directed by Susanna Fogel, probably sounded great in pitch.

Get two great comic actresses and drop them into a fish out of water, international spy drama, using every bit of serious drama from previous Bond and other productions as a basis, and simply turn it on its head.

Can't lose.

Well, apparently one can.

Let me start with the good.

The new 4k Blu-ray from Lionsgate is a gorgeous affair, from every perspective, both visually as well as aurally.

As to the film's content, co-lead Mila Kunis seems to take the role seriously, and has the acting chops to pull it off, even if she probably could have been given a bit more with which to work. The problem is with Kate McKinnon, who never seems to rise above her SNL persona, being quite creative and funny -- albeit for three minutes at a time. Her ability to carry a feature role seems lacking, as she uses the same gestures and odd faces to try to make things work -- but it never did for me.

Possibly the overriding problem goes back to that thing called "the script," which almost seemed missing at times.

If one is seeking mindless entertainment, along with some good Dolby Atmos in a 4k release, one might give this a try, but go in forewarned. For those who may pick this up simply because they love Ms McKinnon, go for it, but also be forewarned.

Image - 5 (HDR10)

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I walked into this one at the theaters expecting some relatively light, no brainer entertainment based on the previews. Instead it was an exceedingly violent and graphic picture. I guess I'm getting older and that kinda stuff that I didn't mind when I was younger is suddenly turning me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks