What's new

Man's Favorite Sport (1963)- coming 11/6/2018 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
From Universal, Amazon link coming soon:

6JXyzDP.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
And the releases just keep coming!

This is a really fun late period Howard Hawks flick. Agreed with Matt, not a masterpiece of comedy by any stretch but definitely a good-natured, entertaining romp. Paula Prentiss' character can be annoying at times (like Katherine Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby) but Rock Hudson is very good as the put-upon hero, and there is some funny stuff with his attempts at fishing. The DVD looks good but this should be a worthy upgrade.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that Paula Prentiss can be annoying in this film, but Hudson was funny in this film and I loved the fishing sequences.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Paula Prentiss irritating? Never! One of the screen's most attractive comedic actresses. If she had been born 20 years earlier, we would be talking about her in the same breath as Rosalind Russell and Carole Lombard (now there's an irritating actress, I can barely get through My Man Godfrey because of her). Pity that Prentiss's mental illness derailed her career.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Paula Prentiss irritating? Never!

Apparently she is in this film to a number of people, although I haven't seen it to concur or not. But I have always been fond of Prentiss, especially in PARALLAX VIEW and THE STEPFORD WIVES (1975).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's been a very long time since I last watched this film - I saw it when it first came out - but I don't remember Paula Prentiss irritating me at all. I remember thinking she was a good comedy actress. I'll have to buy this disc just to recheck!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad to see it's coming. It's too long, and Paula Prentiss can get irritating at times, but it's overall a good-natured romp.
Right, I generally don't like comedies that are two or more hours in length. My favorite comedies are usually 100 minutes or less.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think Hawks might have watched Libeled Lady to get some ideas for the fishing sequence. But you're right; it's funny, and Hudson is very entertaining throughout.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think Hawks might have watched Libeled Lady to get some ideas for the fishing sequence. But you're right; it's funny, and Hudson is very entertaining throughout.

I sure would love to see LIBELED LADY get a decent Blu-ray release. I restored...?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It's been a very long time since I last watched this film - I saw it when it first came out - but I don't remember Paula Prentiss irritating me at all. I remember thinking she was a good comedy actress. I'll have to buy this disc just to recheck!

If she was a bit irritating it was more because her role demanded it, at least this is how I remember it.

I have been waiting for this ever since we got all the Rock Hudson / Doris Day comedies, looking forward to it a lot!

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Pity that Prentiss's mental illness derailed her career.

While Paula did see a brief interruption of her work while recovering from a breakdown, I believe you may be thinking of her sister, Ann, whose career did suffer drastically for similar reasons.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
While Paula did see a brief interruption of her work while recovering from a breakdown, I believe you may be thinking of her sister, Ann, whose career did suffer drastically for similar reasons.

No, I was thinking of Paula Prentiss. Her career never quite recovered the momentum after her illness. Anyway, it's probably a moot point in that she seemed to have made a conscious decision to devote time to family rather than her career.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I watched Man's Favorite Sport? tonight on a 106" projection screen.. The transfer and Blu-ray are outstanding. This has the clean 1960s Technicolor look with simply beautiful contrast and color. Excellent depth to the picture as well. Universal hit this one out of the park and onto the street behind.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks John, this is the first review/comment I've seen of this Blu-ray on the internet. I was beginning to think that it was so awful that one could bring themselves to comment on it. I think I'll go ahead & buy it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've just watched this disc and I agree it's superb, one of the best Universal ever released. Why can't all Universal Blu-ray discs be of this quality? The Sting, for example, is an appalling disc, a total disgrace.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I watched Man's Favorite Sport? tonight on a 106" projection screen.. The transfer and Blu-ray are outstanding. This has the clean 1960s Technicolor look with simply beautiful contrast and color. Excellent depth to the picture as well. Universal hit this one out of the park and onto the street behind.
Somehow I missed John's comment about the quality of this disc. Thanks Robin for bumping the thread as this is a favorite film of mine, and like Alan, assumed this was a typical Universal abomination, like FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, which I was forced to return.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks