What's new

Pre-Order Schindler's List (1993) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
207135_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Of all the Spielberg films, this is likely the one that'll benefit the least from UHD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well its in Black and White for one outside of the first and last few minutes so HDR will be very limited. But the film is also grungy by design. Spielberg and Kaminski were trying to recreate that archival footage/newsreel look here and that means coarse grain; handheld, unstable photography, and erratic lighting levels. Hell it would not surprise me if they used Super 16 for some of Schindler.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well its in Black and White for one outside of the first and last few minutes so HDR will be very limited. But the film is also grungy by design. Spielberg and Kaminski were trying to recreate that archival footage/newsreel look here and that means coarse grain; handheld, unstable photography, and erratic lighting levels. Hell it would not surprise me if they used Super 16 for some of Schindler.
I wish there were more Black and White films in 4K/UHD. I used to hear that same argument when it came to Blu-ray back about 10-12 years ago.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Have any black & white films been released in the 4k/UHD format yet? I certainly do not have any in my collection, but this film is one that I will add as long as the reviews indicate it's worthwhile upgrade.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have never seen this and am looking forward to rectifying that with the upcoming theatrical re-release.

However, if it's as difficult to watch as people have made it sound, I'm not sure I would want to buy it, just because replay value would be minimal.

We'll see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have any black & white films been released in the 4k/UHD format yet? I certainly do not have any in my collection, but this film is one that I will add as long as the reviews indicate it's worthwhile upgrade.
I don't know of any, but it would be nice to see "Casablanca" or even "The Grapes of Wrath" in 4K.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I have never seen this and am looking forward to rectifying that with the upcoming theatrical re-release.

However, if it's as difficult to watch as people have made it sound, I'm not sure I would want to buy it, just because replay value would be minimal.

We'll see.
It's a masterpiece. It's also Spielberg's masterpiece.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's a masterpiece. It's also Spielberg's masterpiece.

I'm not disputing that at all.

It can be a masterpiece and not something that I would want to revisit frequently. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Of all the Spielberg films, this is likely the one that'll benefit the least from UHD.

I disagree. The black a

I disagree. Black and white is just as deserving of an upgrade as color, and this film never looked "grungy" to me. The cinematography is brilliant, and an increase in detail and contrast couldn't hurt. I am not a big supporter of 4K Blu-ray, but this is of the few titles (along with LAWRENCE OF ARABIA) that I would consider owning on this format.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am curious to see how much better B&W films look in 4k.

I remember the review of NEBRASKA on Blu-ray and how everyone thought the B&W presentation was gorgeous.

I am sure it will look even better on 4k.

However, if SCHINDLER was purposely dirtied to make it look more authentic, I don't know if it would qualify as a reference disc for B&W film.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I saw this again yesterday and not one element of what was written here was correct. The film was absolutely beautifully shot. Lighting is mostly very simple and the palette features many shades of gray rather than high-contrast black-and-white. The fine grain and detail were exquisite. It is a reference quality black and white 4K UHD on par with last year's The Servant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks