What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Sidney Sheldon had a very diverse career as a screenwriter (he won an Oscar for his witty script for The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer in 1947), creator of several TV series (I Dream of Jeannie and Hart to Hart stand out as his most enduring creations) and popular novelist. It was from the latter career that gave birth to The Other Side of Midnight, an epic saga of love and betrayal set in between WWI and WWII, in 1973; the novel was a huge bestseller and 20th Century Fox picked up the rights to turn it into a movie four years later. Now, boutique label Twilight Time has picked it up to give the movie its Blu-ray debut.

The Other Side of Midnight (1977)

Released: 08 Jun 1977
Rated: R
Runtime: 165 min

Director: Charles Jarrott
Genre: Drama, Romance, Thriller

Cast: Marie-France Pisier, John Beck, Susan Sarandon, Raf Vallone
Writer(s):...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Sounds like a good quality blu which I wouldn't mind getting down the line. I read many of Sidney Sheldon's novels back then and looked forward to this film, but John Beck didn't jive with the character I had envisioned. But I still wouldn't mind seeing it again after all these years.

Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Let's be honest here...this film is really only notable for being the answer to the Trivial Pursuit question: "What film did Fox Executives think was going to be their big hit of Summer 1977? (to the point of forcing theaters to run some crappy spaceship movie in order to book it)"

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thanks to this review, I've been alerted to another Michel Legrand score; and an isolated one, at that.
Further research has also shown me that the sole Oscar nomination for The Other Side of Midnight went to Irene Sharaff;
representing her 15th and final career nomination for Costume Design.

Also, Fred J. Koenekamp was the DP.

Yup, I would say that there's plenty enough in the audible and visual departments to make this one worth exploring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks