What's new

Remember the Night (1940)- coming from Universal 11/6/2018 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JK2C91X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540321120&sr=8-2&keywords=Universal+Mod+[blu-ray]

0CDRMyu.jpg

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have the previous Blu-ray disc of this superb film. I assume Universal will use the same very good transfer. I recommend this to anyone interested. It's a Christmas film that has a dark side, not totally unlike the way The Apartment has a dark side. Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray are, as always, excellent but so is the rest of the cast. The screenplay is absolutely brilliant, perfectly judged, frequently changing direction and taking the audience into unexpected areas without ever, even for a moment, becoming structurally weak. Remember The Night is one of my all-time favorite films and I watch it every Christmas.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
So happy to see this re-issue of one of my great uncle Mitch Leisen's finest films. I hope Universal and Paramount go deeper into Mitch's catalogue and some are upgraded to BD, (especially Golden Earrings or Frenchman's Creek). Still no DVD even now of Cradle Song, I Wanted Wings, The Lady is Willing, Take A Letter Darling, Lady in the Dark, Practically Yours, Suddenly It's Spring, Bride of Vengeance, The Mating Season or Darling How Could You. I love Remember The Night and it comes out every Christmas at our house, as well.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Glad Uni is re-issuing this as well. I missed the TCM disc when it was available and not willing to pay $200 scalpers were asking for it. Glad even more folks will be able to own this!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a dilemma!

I absolutely love this film since first seeing it on TCM in the mid-2000s. I then bought the first TCM DVD in 2009, followed by the TCM/LoC DVD in 2013, then the TCM blu-ray the following year.

Yes, I'll be buying it again this year, if nothing else just to try to get ahead of @davidmatychuk on having each issue/re-issue of this film. :)

For those that haven't seen this and wonder if it is worth it, you have a chance to watch it on TCM December 22 of this year, followed by another great Stanwyck Christmas classic, Christmas in Connecticut.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What a dilemma!

I absolutely love this film since first seeing it on TCM in the mid-2000s. I then bought the first TCM DVD in 2009, followed by the TCM/LoC DVD in 2013, then the TCM blu-ray the following year.

Yes, I'll be buying it again this year, if nothing else just to try to get ahead of @davidmatychuk on having each issue/re-issue of this film. :)

For those that haven't seen this and wonder if it is worth it, you have a chance to watch it on TCM December 22 of this year, followed by another great Stanwyck Christmas classic, Christmas in Connecticut.
Same here, but I'm going to pass this time around unless somebody can confirm this latest release surpasses the TCM Blu-ray quality or bonus material.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yeah, I was actually yearning to watch this last Christmas but couldn’t bring myself to shell out $50+ for the out-of-print Blu-ray. I’ll gladly plunk down $21.95 for it this year!

$50 was on the cheap side, you must have found a bargain!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm in for this one too. I finally caved and purchased the TCM MOD but hated doing so. (I'd had a bad experience with one of their MOD releases that was bad and they refused to replace it because I'd opened it "too late." Never again. It took getting Universal involved to get resolution and even then TCM was spiteful about it.)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Powerhouse/Indicator is releasing a deluxe limited edition (at first) of this wonderful Christmas movie. Region B locked.

(Mitchell Leisen, 1940)
Release date: 5 December 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK premiere)

With its sparkling screenplay by Preston Sturges (The Great McGinty, The Palm Beach Story), this much-loved romantic comedy paired screen legends Barbara Stanwyck (The Lady Eve, Forty Guns) and Fred MacMurray (Double Indemnity, The Absent-Minded Professor) for the very first time.

Stanwyck plays Lee Leander, a shoplifter who faces a lonely Christmas in prison, while MacMurray is the strait-laced New York District Attorney who takes pity on her and organises her release on bail. After he offers to drive her to visit her family, a trouble-filled road-trip ensues and an unlikely romance blossoms.

Directed by Mitchell Leisen (Easy Living, Hold Back the Dawn), and featuring acting support from Beulah Bondi (It’s a Wonderful Life) and Elizabeth Patterson (The Cat and the Canary), Remember the Night is an all-time classic comedy from Hollywood's golden age. This individually numbered Limited Edition includes a fascinating selection of new and archival extra features, a poster, and an 80-page book.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition remaster
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with film historian Adrian Martin (2022)
  • Geoff Andrew on ‘Remember the Night’ (2022): the author and programmer revisits the film, exploring the contributions of star Fred MacMurray, writer Preston Sturges and director Mitchell Leisen
  • Pamela Hutchinson on Barbara Stanwyck (2022): the critic assesses the life and career of the iconic silver-screen star, and her role in Remember the Night
  • Lux Radio Theatre: ‘Remember the Night’ (1940): radio adaptation which sees MacMurray and Stanwyck reprise their roles from the film
  • Lux Radio Theatre: ‘Remember the Night’ (1942): second radio adaptation, this time pairing MacMurray with Jean Arthur
  • Hollywood Victory Canteen (1945): short promotional film starring Barbara Stanwyck and many other Hollywood names, including Humphrey Bogart, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Betty Hutton, and Alan Ladd
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Rick Burin, archival interviews with cast and crew, articles on the careers of director Mitchell Leisen and screenwriter Preston Sturges, an overview of contemporary critical responses, writing on Hollywood Victory Canteen, and full film credits
  • Limited edition exclusive poster
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray
  • Limited edition of 3,000 copies
All extras subject to change

#PHILTD294
BBFC cert: TBC
REGION B
EAN: 5060697922530

1661443631547.png

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Power/Indication is releasing a deluxe limited edition (at first) of this wonderful Christmas movie. Region B locked.

(Mitchell Leisen, 1940)

With its sparkling screenplay by Preston Sturges (The Great McGinty, The Palm Beach Story), this much-loved romantic comedy paired screen legends Barbara Stanwyck (The Lady Eve, Forty Guns) and Fred MacMurray (Double Indemnity, The Absent-Minded Professor) for the very first time.

Stanwyck plays Lee Leander, a shoplifter who faces a lonely Christmas in prison, while MacMurray is the strait-laced New York District Attorney who takes pity on her and organises her release on bail. After he offers to drive her to visit her family, a trouble-filled road-trip ensues and an unlikely romance blossoms.

Directed by Mitchell Leisen (Easy Living, Hold Back the Dawn), and featuring acting support from Beulah Bondi (It’s a Wonderful Life) and Elizabeth Patterson (The Cat and the Canary), Remember the Night is an all-time classic comedy from Hollywood's golden age. This individually numbered Limited Edition includes a fascinating selection of new and archival extra features, a poster, and an 80-page book.

• Original mono audio
  • Geoff Andrew on ‘Remember the Night’ (2022): the author and programmer revisits the film, exploring the contributions of star Fred MacMurray, writer Preston Sturges and director Mitchell Leisen
  • Pamela Hutchinson on Barbara Stanwyck (2022): the critic assesses the life and career of the iconic silver-screen star, and her role in Remember the Night
  • Lux Radio Theatre: ‘Remember the Night’ (1940): radio adaptation which sees MacMurray and Stanwyck reprise their roles from the film
  • Lux Radio Theatre: ‘Remember the Night’ (1942): second radio adaptation, this time pairing MacMurray with Jean Arthur
  • Hollywood Victory Canteen (1945): short promotional film starring Barbara Stanwyck and many other Hollywood names, including Humphrey Bogart, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Betty Hutton, and Alan Ladd
  • Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Rick Burin, archival interviews with cast and crew, articles on the careers of director Mitchell Leisen and screenwriter Preston Sturges, an overview of contemporary critical responses, writing on Hollywood Victory Canteen, and full film credits
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray

#PHILTD294
REGION B

View attachment 150006
Interesting to note this new disc provides subtitles. The original disc which I have does not include subtitles.
I assume the same transfer is being used.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Power/Indication is releasing a deluxe limited edition (at first) of this wonderful Christmas movie. Region B locked.

(Mitchell Leisen, 1940)

• Original mono audio
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray

#PHILTD294
REGION B

View attachment 150006
All that is missing is Robert O's intro!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't know how I went a great portion of my life and not only had never seen this movie but had never even heard of it! Three or four years ago, someone on this site talked about it (might have been Crawdaddy), I caught it on TCM, and it immediately became one of my all-time favorite movies! There have been Christmases since then that I have skipped Scrooge or White Christmas or Miracle on 34th Street or Holiday Inn, but I haven't missed a holiday since I discovered this movie without watching it once or twice during the season. It really is one of the unsung great movies of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw it for the first time in that timeframe too - I was probably reading the same threads :)

Coincidentally, I also viewed “I’ll Be Seeing You” around the same time, which shares a similar premise.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I don't know how I went a great portion of my life and not only had never seen this movie but had never even heard of it! Three or four years ago, someone on this site talked about it (might have been Crawdaddy), I caught it on TCM, and it immediately became one of my all-time favorite movies! There have been Christmases since then that I have skipped Scrooge or White Christmas or Miracle on 34th Street or Holiday Inn, but I haven't missed a holiday since I discovered this movie without watching it once or twice during the season. It really is one of the unsung great movies of the Golden Age of Hollywood.
Robert Osborne brought this title out of obscurity with his first intro on TCM then the dvd and blu ray

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Interesting to note this new disc provides subtitles. The original disc which I have does not include subtitles.
There was another US release from Universal in 2018 which had them.

edit: oh, hehe. This is the Universal disc thread.
But yeah, the original TCM disc didn't provide subtitles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.