What's new

Suggestion for In wall/In Ceiling for new home (1 Viewer)

tuscansun

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Hi All,

New to the forum. Am looking for some suggestion for Home Theater speakers for new home. I have some flexibility to choose In wall or In Ceiling speakers. So want some opinion for 1st floor and Game Room speakers. Panicking to get it right the first time so that don't have to worry about it later. Am planning to have 3 set of speakers downstairs for watching TV downstairs and listening to songs, so thought of doing in ceiling in the kitchen,great room and formal dining. But the company doing the wiring I feel is trying to rip me off. After reading forums i realized in ceiling wont be a good option so want to get some ideas on whether to go for in ceiling/ in wall speakers and placements so that i have enough coverage when i am downstairs.

For game room was planning to get a 5.1 channel in wall speaker which i think should work.For this room am planning a 4k projector. But please do let me know your thoughts. Am attaching a link to 3D preview for a model with the same floor plan.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=HfPmW5Ab8ZC

Thanks..

DigitalDawn

Agent
Real Name
Dawn Luks
Take a look at Triad speakers. They have a number of InCeiling and inWall speakers to choose from and they will paint the grills to match your walls and ceilings. Great company and a favorite of custom installers.

www.triadspeakers.com

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Most HTF members will recommend against in wall speakers but FOR in ceiling ATMOS speakers. I personally recommend Paradigm but Klipsh makes great ones I use in my home as well

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sam meant to say against in wall speakers. You might ask yourself why you want go that way, when you can install small shelves with bookshelf speakers, have more models to choose from, not be stuck with them and save money. In wall speakers are a severe compromise and rarely worth it.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dollars to donuts, freestanding speakers perform better than in wall. But sometimes space and aesthetics require in-wall. Triad has some good options; I have them in my theater room. I recommend overcompensating with a good freestanding subwoofer, if you can. I’m not impressed with the in-wall subs; again physics constrain them relative to free standing. If you do go in wall with the sub, have someone who knows what they doing, and not just Johnny interior decorator, install it. The sub is connected to studs and will literally vibrate the wall and everything hanging on the wall if not done well.

tuscansun

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Thanks guys for all the helpful info. So after taking your recommendations into consideration i am planning for free standing speakers for game room home theater. For downstairs don't have much say since my wife doesnt want anything to be out so we will have to go with in ceiling speakers. So am debating between 5.1 or 7.1 channel home theater for game room, any suggestion. The room size is 10 x 12 feet. Am thinking to get Klipsch speakers but not sure which ones to get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks