What's new

I'm sorry Dave...Douglas Rain has died (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The man behind the stunning voice of HAL 9000 Douglas Rain has died....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-1203025809/&usg=AOvVaw03IPMUsld3qmH5PjxNTLIk

I just watched the movie 2 weeks ago. Somehow I forget just how amazing the computer character is. His voicework is one of my favorites of all time.

Side note, I read Odyssey 3 a year ago and it would make an amazing movie. I hope they never remake the other 2. Butt.... we all knows they will... :(

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"Stop Douglas Rain, Stop. I can feel it. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Anthony Hopkins had once noted that within his creation of Hannibal, he combined the qualities of Katharine Hepburn and HAL. Where does such brilliance come from?
So, in the end, one could easily argue that Mr. Rain had actually received an Oscar for his work; albeit, indirectly.

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Here's something I didn't know until recently: For the sequel 2010, SAL-9000 was voiced by Candice Bergen. But her on-screen credit in the film was Olga Mallsnerd. Mortimer Snerd was a puppet character created by her father, Edgar Bergen.

I watched 2010 recently and now I totally hear Candice, but she's using the measured, pauseless Douglas Rain vocal cadence.

2010_wehaveoftenspokenabouthal_FC_470x264_060220160532.jpg

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Somehow or other, the fact that Rains also voiced the computer in Woody Allen's SLEEPER had always eluded me.

It also just happens that I'd been thinking about that film recently. I'm well overdue for a viewing, and there's an extra special reason to look forward to it now.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I think I’ll make something in iOS Shortcuts to read off random HAL quotes using Siri.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks