What's new

Help choosing a receiver (Pioneer, Marantz, Denon) (1 Viewer)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Need to upgrade a Pioneer VSX-32 to something that can pass 4k.

I am using external amplification so need pre outs for 7 channels. the front mains are bi-amped and I am actually running 5.1 speakers.

Anyway, the Pioneer LX-503 has the preouts as do similarly priced models from Marantz SR5012 and Denon X3400H. Just not sure if any of these have an advantage over any other. Or am I missing something by not looking at other brands. I chose these because a local retailer has them open box wit ha decent discount, all the same price.

I have been out of the home theater hardware market for a few years and a little confused about the latest audio formats and 4k video features. Thanks for any advice

Sony X800 BR player
Parasound 120x5 and 100x2 amps
86" LG 6300 series TV
Vandersteen speakers

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might check to see if that seller had an open box Marantz AV7703. Since you're using all external amps anyway, you might as well at least check to see if they have a preamp instead of a receiver. If they have any, it should be cheaper than a SR5012.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You might check to see if that seller had an open box Marantz AV7703. Since you're using all external amps anyway, you might as well at least check to see if they have a preamp instead of a receiver. If they have any, it should be cheaper than a SR5012.

Agree. Why pay for amps you'll never use. Your money will be better spent on a good quality pre/pro, perhaps even a used Marantz 7702 MKII if you can find anyone willing to part with theirs.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I will look for a 7702 II or the 7703, but retail price is more. The receivers I am looking at are $599 open box. All three are regular price of $999 retail and $200 for the Black Friday sale.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will look for a 7702 II or the 7703, but retail price is more. The receivers I am looking at are $599 open box. All three are regular price of $999 retail and $200 for the Black Friday sale.
Just keep in mind that it's also a huge step up in quality and capability. The 7703/4 is more on par with a SR8012.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks