What's new

Brand makes and models for consideration (1 Viewer)

BrianGR

Auditioning
I am looking to buy again and I am getting myself up to speed on various makes and models available today.

So far I studied Denon S940H and Yamaha RXA780.
Any comment on these two???

I need at least a 5.2 or 7.2 amp.
Sub has dual inputs.

I don't think I'll use a 2nd zone.

Warranty is important to me.

Sound formats is important to me.
My 3way front mains can be bi-amp if you think it's a good idea.

What other makes and models I should be looking at????

Sorry for the "bold", my eye sight is poor.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I am a fan of Denon's higher end, and Yamaha's lower end - basically comes down to quality.

Between those two, I would look at the RXA780.

That said, the real value choice is to buy a refurbished Marantz unit like this one, as you're getting a really high quality, and high performance unit.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I recommend Marantz and Denon but have always like Yamaha as well. What price point are you looking at? Personally I would spend as much as you can on a high quality receiver or if your looking more performance I would go separates. Like I said I do like Yamaha and two receivers ago for many years from about 1997 to aprox 2012 the Yamaha RX-V995 was the center of my home theater! Then I went to a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and just this past October I went all out for the Marantz SR-8012 11 channel surround receiver. One of the things you get with Denon and Marantz you will not get with Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo or Pioneer is Auro 3D surround sound! This is something you have to spend big buck for and would have to get something like a pre/pro from Trinnov Audio or other very expensive options. Some other features the Marantz 8012 gives you is a large toridal transformer, split heat sinks, dual sub woofer outputs with separate crossovers among other things. But what is your budget and what is the max your willing to spend. Just keep in mind if you plan to supplement the receiver power with external power amps later lower end receivers are notorious for not outputting enough voltage to push amplifiers to full output!

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Personally I would spend as much as you can on a high quality receiver or if your looking more performance I would go separates
Another way of looking at this is to buy based on a *much* bigger room (overbuild the system.) Cry once and all that.
You can always keep the volume low on an oversized amp; a small amp will not exceed its rated capacity...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You can always keep the volume low on an oversized amp; a small amp will not exceed its rated capacity...

I agree over all but IMHO yes if you go with excess power you can keep it turned down but you will also have excess power for headroom to deal with times you need instant power in loud passages. In a much bigger room a small amp will not have the power to drive speakers to the volume level you may want or need when you do want it loud. You will run out of usable voltage in the amp and run the amp into clipping and that will damage your speakers faster than anything IMHO. But it never hurts to over build a system and if you move into a bigger place you do not need to change anything. Just make sure you have enough current available through your breakers when building a large system. And make sure if your using a receiver that it outputs enough voltage to drive a external amplifier to full volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks