What's new

Box Springs vs Platform Bed (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
After 15 years, we are replacing our mattress. My wife wants to replace our headboard as well and the question came up: Do we want to just replace the headboard and mattress or replace our frame and box springs and get a platform bed that doesn’t require box springs instead. Thoughts one way or the other?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
About 4 months ago I got a Purple mattress. At the time I also looked at traditional mattress/box spring set ups. As I recall, as long as you have proper support for the mattress, a box spring isn't needed. However, I have read that some mattresses require sitting on a box spring as part of their warranty although I have never come across one with such a stipulation.

I think it comes down to how high you want your mattress off the floor. A box spring will lift it up a bit which you may, or may not, find desirable.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Box springs. Not a platform bed. We bought one a couple years a go, thinking it would be good. It was terrible. Returned it a couple days later. They can’t support the mass of mattress and sag in the middle. Bleh.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Must be almost a couple of years ago now, we got a Temperpedic with the platform that allows the user to raise and lower the head and foot. We also got separate platforms for each of us (2 mattresses) which was a good idea since we have much different ideas on how we want the bed to be elevated.

It was wonderful after my surgeries and I love it today. Except for the price tag.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
About 4 months ago I got a Purple mattress. At the time I also looked at traditional mattress/box spring set ups. As I recall, as long as you have proper support for the mattress, a box spring isn't needed. However, I have read that some mattresses require sitting on a box spring as part of their warranty although I have never come across one with such a stipulation.

I think it comes down to how high you want your mattress off the floor. A box spring will lift it up a bit which you may, or may not, find desirable.

-Keith
How do you like it?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
How do you like it?

The Purple mattress? I really like it. Very comfortable and no problems with heat through the summer. I purchased an original style Purple mattress. The place I bought it from also had Purple's newer mattresses (hybrid design, includes coils) as well which I liked even more but they were more than I wanted to spend.

-Keith

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Our mattress disaster involved a “memory” foam bought about 5 years ago. We are still not used to it. My wife finds it hot all the time.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Our new bed should be delivered tomorrow. We went with a Beautyrest Black memory foam with an adjustable base. It should be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I hope it’s as good as the reviews indicate.
Did you order from a brick and mortar or online?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hadn't heard that specific term before and I probably shouldn't have said I would avoid something I've never experienced.
They've been around for a long time, but traditionally they are like THIS ONE. I've never had one, but with as thick as some mattresses are these days, I wonder if a box spring, which rarely ever have any springs in them, are really necessary. I've been looking myself, because I need a new bed, but I'm a pretty simple guy, and there's no way I'm spending $3K+ on a bed.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've been looking myself, because I need a new bed, but I'm a pretty simple guy, and there's no way I'm spending $3K+ on a bed.

An amazing bed is something I'm absolutely willing to pay top dollar for these days. You get what you pay for. The bed we now have should be the last one we ever need. It's fully adjustable, includes massage features [not all that useful, but...] and is supremely comfortable.

A good nights sleep can be allusive for me at times so, since we were in the market, I wrote the check. If you're sleeping comfortably now then you may not need to.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
An amazing bed is something I'm absolutely willing to pay top dollar for these days.
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just that my main problem is the opposite of yours. If my bed is too comfortable, I might not ever get out of it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
We’ve only had it two nights but stress has kept me awake for the majority of it. I slept maybe two hours Tuesday night and about 30 minutes last night. The mattress is like lying on a billiard table but we were told we have to break it in over at least 30 days before it softens up a bit. My wife loves the adjustable frame. We’ll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks