What's new

Other CBS Shows VEI could release (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about shows which have existing usable tape elements, which means they wouldn't have to pay for film transfers:

Paper Moon
The Smith Family
Funny Face
Ben Casey (old Worldvision timesped versions, but still)
One Step Beyond (see above)
Breaking Point
New Breed
Serpico
The Associates
The New People

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Neil,

I agree with you on most of these titles.

But I also remember TV Land having once aired both Blansky's Beauties and Goodtime Girls, so I think there are videotaped masters available for these two also. I know, because when TV Land re-aired them, they both had the 1995 Paramount Television logo at the end replacing the original 1970s/'80s Blue Mountain. Ditto for Me and the Chimp (1972), which originally ended with the Split Box II logo. I remember TV Land used to air a marathon of shows which Garry Marshall had produced.

In addition to what you wrote down, I still think VEI could release these shows to DVD:
Out of the Blue (1979) (12 episodes produced, but only 8 aired)
Working Stiffs (1979) (9 episodes produced, but only 4 aired; 6 episodes were available on VHS in 1985)
Struck by Lightning (1979) (11 episodes produced, but only 3 aired)
Here's Boomer (1980-82)
Foul Play (TV series) (1981)
Madame's Place (1982-83) (exact number of episodes not known, somewhere from 75 to 150)
Star of the Family (1982) (13 episodes produced, but only 10 aired)
The New Odd Couple (1982-83)
The Renegades (1983)
Mr. Smith (1983)
Brothers (1984-89)
Mr. Sunshine (1986)
All is Forgiven (1986)
Gung Ho (TV series) (1986-87)
The Cavanaughs (1986-89)
The Tortellis (1987)
Bronx Zoo (1987-88)
Duet (1987-89) / Open House (1989-90)
Hard Knocks (1987)
Day by Day (1988-89)
Dear John (1988-92)
Brooklyn Bridge (1991-93) (was supposed to have been out on DVD in 2010, according to producer Gary David Goldberg himself)

~Ben

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I'm thinking about shows which have existing usable tape elements, which means they wouldn't have to pay for film transfers:

Paper Moon
The Smith Family
Funny Face
Ben Casey (old Worldvision timesped versions, but still)
One Step Beyond (see above)
Breaking Point
New Breed
Serpico
The Associates
The New People

Excellent list, Neil. While I know the lack of existing usable tape elements ground Shout's release of the remaining seasons of The Defenders to a halt, do you know if usable tape elements exist for the following CBS shows:

East Side/West Side
The Nurses (a.k.a. The Doctors and the Nurses)
'Way Out

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Excellent list, Neil. While I know the lack of existing usable tape elements ground Shout's release of the remaining seasons of The Defenders to a halt, do you know if usable tape elements exist for the following CBS shows:

East Side/West Side
'Way Out

Several (all?) episodes of East Side/West Side aired on the now-defunct Trio channel, during its 'Brilliant But Cancelled' programming block, back in the early 2000s, so I'd say the answer is likely yes on that one.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think that might be TGG Direct; they were the people who made the remaining seasonal releases of Highway Patrol (1956-59).

Yeah I read that it was TGG Direct. I also read there were some episodes that they couldn't get Clearances for. but were another company to get the Media rights, it wouldn't necessarily mean that missing episodes could be cleared, Am I right?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yeah I read that it was TGG Direct. I also read there were some episodes that they couldn't get Clearances for. but were another company to get the Media rights, it wouldn't necessarily mean that missing episodes could be cleared, Am I right?

That's a good question, and something for which I do not have an answer.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a good question, and something for which I do not have an answer.

I thought of it because I remember when Mister Ed was first released, it was in 2 best of Volumes by MGM. Shortly after that, further releases were said to be in Jeopardy due to a Lawsuit filed by the Estate of the late Walter Brooks. ( I believe I read that on TvShows on DVD.com some years ago) In the end, Shout was able to get licenses to release the complete Series. They were even able to re release Season One fully restored to full episode length

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
I bought all the In The Heat Of The Night DVD sets at a used DVD store a few years back. As I recall, there were about 25-28 missing episodes (of the total 146 episodes). I ended up recording the missing shows off WGN, so I would have them all. I remember some of them were excluded due to music that was key to the storyline, etc.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Neil,

I agree with you on most of these titles.

But I also remember TV Land having once aired both Blansky's Beauties and Goodtime Girls, so I think there are videotaped masters available for these two also. I know, because when TV Land re-aired them, they both had the 1995 Paramount Television logo at the end replacing the original 1970s/'80s Blue Mountain. Ditto for Me and the Chimp (1972), which originally ended with the Split Box II logo. I remember TV Land used to air a marathon of shows which Garry Marshall had produced.

In addition to what you wrote down, I still think VEI could release these shows to DVD:
Out of the Blue (1979) (12 episodes produced, but only 8 aired)
Working Stiffs (1979) (9 episodes produced, but only 4 aired; 6 episodes were available on VHS in 1985)
Struck by Lightning (1979) (11 episodes produced, but only 3 aired)
Here's Boomer (1980-82)
Foul Play (TV series) (1981)
Madame's Place (1982-83) (exact number of episodes not known, somewhere from 75 to 150)
Star of the Family (1982) (13 episodes produced, but only 10 aired)
The New Odd Couple (1982-83)
The Renegades (1983)
Mr. Smith (1983)
Brothers (1984-89)
Mr. Sunshine (1986)
All is Forgiven (1986)
Gung Ho (TV series) (1986-87)
The Cavanaughs (1986-89)
The Tortellis (1987)
Bronx Zoo (1987-88)
Duet (1987-89) / Open House (1989-90)
Hard Knocks (1987)
Day by Day (1988-89)
Dear John (1988-92)
Brooklyn Bridge (1991-93) (was supposed to have been out on DVD in 2010, according to producer Gary David Goldberg himself)

~Ben

A lot of the shows didn't even last a half season. I really doubt they are going to have much interest in 6 episode shows or bad sitcoms. Brooklyn Bridge is loaded with music.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

East Side/West Side
'Way Out

ESWS is owned by MGM
Nurses, no tapes
Way Out aired on 2-inch tape but those are long gone and all that survives are kinescopes. They transferred those for Paley Center years ago. No idea if they kept tape copies for themselves.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
A lot of the shows didn't even last a half season. I really doubt they are going to have much interest in 6 episode shows or bad sitcoms. Brooklyn Bridge is loaded with music.
Some half-season shows do get DVD releases every now and then. I know VEI did release the 1981 version of Nero Wolfe (only 14 episodes, plus the 1979 pilot) and The Immortal (15 episodes, plus the 1969 pilot) on DVD in 2017.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Some half-season shows do get DVD releases every now and then. I know VEI did release the 1981 version of Nero Wolfe (only 14 episodes, plus the 1979 pilot) and The Immortal (15 episodes, plus the 1969 pilot) on DVD in 2017.

~Ben

And sooner or later, I'm bound to get that '81 Nero Wolfe all-in-one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks