What's new

The Heroes of Telemark (1965)- coming to Blu-Ray from Sony 1/8/19 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
https://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Telem...r=1-3&keywords=the+heroes+of+telemark+blu+ray
81-tOa8TeVL._SL1500_.jpg

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Great start to January with this and the announced WB’s Blu’s. Heroes has always been a favourite of mine in the WW2 genre.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Nice surprise Sony doesn't do many like these anymore. They usually farm them out.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Not a special favorite of mine, but I'm buying because I'm sure it will look spectacular on Blu-ray disc after the Sony magicians have done their work..

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I love this film. Perhaps this is considered minor Anthony Mann, but it works beautifully for me. The compositions in the battle scenes use depth of field and shot duration to remarkable effect, in a way that reminds me of Nicholas Ray. The color was especially vivid when this was in theaters, so I'm hoping the Blu-Ray matches that. Seeing this is from Sony, that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and this was a film in which I found Richard Harris likable, which doesn't happen that often for me.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody know what the last pre 70s title was that Sony released themselves on Blu-ray in the US?
I think it has been some time so I definitely did not see this one coming!

So even as a big Tony Mann fan I never actually got around to watching this one as I stopped watching the DVD when I noticed that Telemark is a really good looking production and I wanted my first viewing to be better than that, and I decided to wait and watch it at least in HD.

So now it gets even better and my first viewing will be on a nicely sized screen with a really good looking Blu-ray - thank you Sony!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have seen a Original 35mm Tech IB reel of this and it looked fab.

I had always hoped to maybe catch a 70mm BlowUp at a festival but it looks like there are relatively few 70mm prints available from movies produced by Columbia back in the days.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Joachim Ronneberg, the leader of the sabotage mission, died last month at 99. He wasn’t impressed by this movie as he thought it took too many liberties with the facts. He preferred the more recent Netflix series, although was still upset that they changed the names of the Norwegian collaborators. Very interesting obituary in the New York Times.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Joachim Ronneberg, the leader of the sabotage mission, died last month at 99. He wasn’t impressed by this movie as he thought it took too many liberties with the facts. He preferred the more recent Netflix series, although was still upset that they changed the names of the Norwegian collaborators. Very interesting obituary in the New York Times.
The real hero outlived by Kirk Douglas. The obit in the NYT was amazing. What a story!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I had always hoped to maybe catch a 70mm BlowUp at a festival but it looks like there are relatively few 70mm prints available from movies produced by Columbia back in the days.

I didn't realise there were 70mm prints. I'm sure it wasn't 70mm when I saw it in 1965 (big Christmas attraction) at the Odeon, Leicester Square.

I remember going to see it with high anticipation but although it had good moments, overall it was disappointing. I'll get the BD though because the film has never looked good on home video.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I stumbled on this movie as I passed by the "this" channel one evening. It was getting very near the end, but it sucked me right in. I just had to see the full thing, so I looked it up and found a fairly expensive, out-of-print DVD. Wanting to see it in full widescreen, I bit the bullet and bought that DVD. Now here it is on Blu.

I'm not sure I love it enough to double-dip, but it'll be under consideration.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realise there were 70mm prints. I'm sure it wasn't 70mm when I saw it in 1965 (big Christmas attraction) at the Odeon, Leicester Square.

I remember going to see it with high anticipation but although it had good moments, overall it was disappointing. I'll get the BD though because the film has never looked good on home video.

Michael Coate co-authored this one so we can be pretty certain that there were 70mm prints:
https://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/year/1966/index.htm

I read that Telemark wasn't that good compared to other Mann movies but I still think that I will enjoy it on a really good Blu-ray.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I've just read Joachim Ronneberg's NYT obituary, as well as a couple of other articles it links to, and it really is an incredible story! What an incredible bunch of brave young men. It's a great shame the real-life mission was Hollywoodised so much; it would have been much better had they stuck to the facts. None of the mission members liked the film at all. It's literally put me off buying the BD. :(

Conversely, as the obituary points out, in 2015-2016, a big-budget miniseries was produced – The Saboteurs aka The Heavy Water War – telling a much more complete and accurate story. Aside from some complaints about name changes, it met with glowing approval from all the survivors. It was an international co-production (Norway, England, Germany, Denmark) and currently has an 8.0 IMDb rating, as opposed to The Heroes of Telemark's 6.5.

Arrow's UK BD is the best English-friendly release, but it's also available in HD via most digital outlets.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

I also saw it at the Odeon, Leicester Square and my recollection was that it was 35mm.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
As I stated in another forum, it looks just fine. Some earlier remarks had me quite worried about what I'd encounter, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's probably from the DVD master from ten years ago, but it looks perfectly acceptable to me. I think it's in the same ball park as the "Man from Laramie" TT blu-ray. Maybe a few more white specs here and there. I must pick up for Anthony Mann and World War II yarn fans.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

According to the records at in70mm.com it played in 70mm in the US in 1966. No information about what kind of mix it was, the DVD is mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks