What's new

BrightBurn (2019)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: BrightBurn

Genre: All

Director: David Yarovesky

Cast: Elizabeth Banks, David Denman, Meredith Hagner, Matt Jones, Jennifer Holland, Steve Agee, Becky Wahlstrom, Terence Rosemore, Stephen Blackehart, Jackson A. Dunn, Annie Humphrey, Christian Finlayson, Emmie Hunter, Mike Dunston

Release: 2019-05-23

Plot: Plot unknown.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Strange. Still have no idea what this is about after watching the trailer.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Wow. Well, there's a new twist on an old story idea. This is being touted as a new genre: Superhero horror.

Interesting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I almost saw this last night, but chose "Booksmart". However, I expect to use the A-List to watch "Brightburn" in the coming days.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was okay, definitely gory in spots, with some hard laughs from the horror of it all. Could have used another 15 minutes of characterization bits, I think.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I’ve got no problem with gore, just not a fan of jump scares which is why I avoid most horror movies. Gore gets to a point where it is so over the top that it starts to look fake to me so it’s never been much of a bother.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I’ve got no problem with gore, just not a fan of jump scares which is why I avoid most horror movies. Gore gets to a point where it is so over the top that it starts to look fake to me so it’s never been much of a bother.
You can view the scene I linked above in post #6 to get an idea of both the scare and gore levels.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Thanks for the info. I had already watch the scene from your link. That scene didn’t get to me too much so I might give this one a go tonight. The what if Superman was bad premise is intriguing.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The what if Superman was bad premise is intriguing.

There have been several previous attempts at exploring this premise:

1. Superboy Prime. Of all the characters in this list, the most likely to torture or kill people for the sheer meanness of it (with no other motive). Basically combines less maturity than most 5-year-olds with a higher power level than most versions of Superman.
2. General Zod.
3. Black Adam.
4. Ultraman (Crime Syndicate analogue of Superman).
5. Elseworlds Superman who grew up in the Soviet Union.
6. Elseworlds where an ancestor of Superman's came to Earth. He flew the Founding Fathers to England to be executed, and then took over the British Government.
7. Red Daughter, on Supergirl.
8. Clark Kent, on Smallville, when under the influence of Red Kryptonite. (On that show, Red Kryptonite poisons the mind, much like Green Kryptonite poisons the body.)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
After two previous aborted attempts to see Brightburn, finally got to the theater last night. I don't think it's great, but I was entertained and enjoyed seeing it. The kid plays creepy pretty well, the run time is nice and quick and I wasn't bored. The Superman parallels (or rip offs) are all over the place; I made a little game out of it about halfway through. There is one scene of gore that I got squeamish over, but the blood never became over the top for me. It all felt like a natural outgrowth of the story.

Do I need to see Brightburn ever again? Nope. Do I need a sequel or continuation? Nope.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks