What's new

Melrose Place //90210 (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I purchased the Melrose Place Reboot from CW on Blu Ray A while Back along with the complete Series' of Melrose and 90210 (1990 and Reboot ) Are there plans to for blu ray?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Since these shows were produced in the 1990s, there is a high likelihood that they were edited on videotape in postproduction.

If they were to do HD versions, they would have to go back to the original film and edit all the episodes again. Basically similar to what was done for Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I am of the opinion that such iconic TV fare deserves better than the shoddy DVD transfers currently available. I sincerely hope more of the 70s/80s/90s gets its due on Blu: Murder She Wrote, Magnum P.I., Hart to Hart, The Love Boat, The Golden Girls, 227, Dynasty, Dallas, Hawaii 5-0 (original), The Waltons, The Dukes of Hazzard, Cagney and Lacey, Fame, St. Elsewhere, Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, Crazy Like A Fox, Falcon Crest, Ally McBeal, Picket Fences, Sex and the City, L.A. Law, Simon and Simon, Charlie's Angels, etc.

Yes, for many no true HD transfer is possible as there's a lot of 'tape' product, but if the release of Fraggle Rock proved anything, it's that even 'tape' quality can be improved considerably by the proper care and remastering to 'faux' hi-def.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
90210 was definitely filmed then edited on video tape (excepting, I believe, the 2 hour pilot which was filmed and edited on film. I may be wrong about that). 90210 is somewhere around the realm of "barely acceptable" on dvd, owing to the cheaper video editing and the fact that there was so much music substitution and outright deletion. Any fans of Jamie Walters' "Ray Pruit" character are out of luck because they cut out so many of his on-screen songs. Lots of season 5 episodes run very very short because of these deletions. Less music was part of the storylines on "Melrose Place." In that show, they'd play pop songs in the background of nightclub scenes--all gone now. Almost every episode began with producer credits over a skyline and background music featuring popular songs of the day. I think every single one of those songs was substituted for library scoring. If prime time soaps were still popular, no doubt they'd have value in streaming and they'd have to go back and re-edit the films for the first time, like Star Trek TNG. If they were to do that and restore all the music, I'd be in. But older soaps and dramas don't sell that well, so I guess we'll have to settle for what we have.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Speaking as a Spelling fan, I might add that I think it's nice that most of Aaron Spelling's major primetime shows did eventually creep out on dvd (it took forever for Dynasty to conclude and we still don't have the Reunion movies!) I wonder if VEI would ever be interested in his shorter-length series like Models Inc., Malibu Shores, Pacific Palisades, Titans and the crown jewel of them all--Savannah.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Speaking as a Spelling fan, I might add that I think it's nice that most of Aaron Spelling's major primetime shows did eventually creep out on dvd (it took forever for Dynasty to conclude and we still don't have the Reunion movies!) I wonder if VEI would ever be interested in his shorter-length series like Models Inc., Malibu Shores, Pacific Palisades, Titans and the crown jewel of them all--Savannah.

VEI released "Hollywood Wives" a few years ago. So from that, it would give a good idea how other less popular Spelling shows might sell.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ve actually been wondering about Models inc as well as it is a 90210/melrose spin off series

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks