Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Knives Out

Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Crime

Director: Rian Johnson

Cast: Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Michael Shannon, Christopher Plummer, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lakeith Stanfield, Toni Collette, Jaeden Lieberher, Katherine Langford, Don Johnson, Riki Lindhome, Raúl Castillo, Shyrley Rodriguez

Release: 2019-10-01

Plot: Modern-day murder mystery in the classic Agatha Christie whodunit style.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Lionsgate picked up distribution rights for Rian Johnson's next movie and is releasing it for Thanksgiving weekend on November 27, 2019:

https://deadline.com/2018/12/knives...herine-langford-lakeith-stanfield-1202519144/

I can't wait to see this. I'm a big fan of Johnson, and he has assembled an amazing cast. Next year is going to have a ton of sequels and remakes and spinoffs which are interesting and exciting, but I'm glad there's still room for big swing original concepts too, and I look forward to showing up for this.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm glad there's still room for big swing original concepts too, and I look forward to showing up for this.
Big swing original concepts? The plot synopsis says it's an Agatha Christie-style mystery. Hasn't that been done dozens of times? :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, yeah. I should have been more clear. I meant more in the sense that it's an original idea by Johnson which isn't based on a pre-existing source, and is attracting big names and will presumably have a good size budget.

This year, the highest-grossing film that isn't a sequel, remake, spinoff, or adaptation based on an existing IP is A Quiet Place with $188 million. You've got to go down to #12 domestic (as of right now, although it will end up being lower once all the holiday films complete their runs) to find it. While that is an extraordinary gross for that movie, it's kind of a shame that $188 million represents the ceiling for a completely original property these days. So I'm always happy to see studios investing in original material and hope that it is successful.

This isn't to chide any of the sequels or adaptations this year, many of which I have enjoyed very much, but there's a ton of them and not as many originals, so it's nice to see something that is an original being treated as a major release. That's all I meant.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually do wonder if there will be some effect due to some people being pissed at him for TLJ
I think the people who will seek this out are Rian Johnson fans first and foremost. The Star Wars fans who hated The Last Jedi by and large probably wouldn't have sought this out even without the Johnson association.

I would imagine the box office expectations are in line with his original work rather than his one franchise entry.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think the people who will seek this out are Rian Johnson fans first and foremost. The Star Wars fans who hated The Last Jedi by and large probably wouldn't have sought this out even without the Johnson association.

I would imagine the box office expectations are in line with his original work rather than his one franchise entry.

Probably right, though I’m sure there were some butthurts that proclaimed “I’ll never ever watch anything Rian Johnson does again”

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’m definitely interested in this one- I saw the trailer before Quentin’s film played, and I was immediately impressed.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We saw the trailer last night prior to Ford v Ferrari. I'm definitely interested but will wait for the reviews and probably long enough for an audience score.

Edit: Whoops, I see that it already has 115 critic reviews on RT with a score of 97%. Impressive!

Mark

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The second trailer was better than the first one. At least, it looked like Craig stopped looking like he was trying to channel his character from the James Bond films. I wish the guy would stop trying to affect accents. I mean, why do they have have him do that? It's not like, there are not people living in America that have English accents.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks