What's new

What's your go-to snack and beverage for your blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Right - you've now finally received the 4K 2001 in your trembling hands, after a wait that took longer for Discovery One to get to Jupiter. You close the shutters, lock the doors, switch off the lights, fire up your home theatre and prepare yourself for some quality time. What do you enjoy to go with your favourite hobby? The whole point of a home theatre is that it's your turf. If you hate going to the cinema, because of the crunching, chewing, slurping, rustling and foraging (as well as the expense, hassle, talking, mobile phone use, fighting and drug dealing), well - who's there to get offended in your private quarters? I always wondered if everyone goes for microwaved popcorn, or varies it a bit? Is it the same for every film, or can you crunch nachos and glug beer when it's some Marvel superhero flick, but prefer cheeses and chardonnay for some Criterion? Or White Russians and nuts for The Big Lebowksi?

My popcorn, by the way - probably copied from a magazine way back: Grated parmesan, a bit of curry powder, chili flakes and honey. Some nuts and dried fruit tossed in. Goes well with a beer and pretty much anything on the screen, from J.J. Abrams to Terry Zwigoff.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Usually i don't snack during films, but when I do, I sometimes make the snack match the film. My most creative was probably VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. I bought a large bag of M&Ms and sorted them by color into small dishes. Every time a character took a drink or popped a pill, we grabbed a handful of our candy-coated chocolate "dolls".

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don’t snack but I do like to have something to drink during a movie. Most of my movie watching is done early Saturday and Sunday mornings (we’re talking between 5 and 9 AM) so my go-to is a cup of coffee.

On the rare occasion that I get to watch a movie during the evening or at night, there’s always an adult beverage close by, usually beer but sometimes wine, margaritas, or an amaretto sour depending on what I’m in the mood for.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Coffee, or if it's in the evening, a glass or two of wine, & if it's later on in the evening, my favourite unhealthy snack, a slug of bourbon & a bit of 70% dark chocolate, I find they go very well together (it can go with the film, a western is bourbon, but a swashbuckler would have to be wine).

...but it's going to have to be coffee in the new year, I always go dry for the first three months.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I tend not to snack while watching movies at home. I can't say the same thing when I'm at a movie theater though.:blush:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don’t snack but I do like to have something to drink during a movie. Most of my movie watching is done early Saturday and Sunday mornings (we’re talking between 5 and 9 AM) so my go-to is a cup of coffee.

I love a vacation day when I get up early and start the day off with a classic film and a cup of coffee. To me there is nothing better than that that regarding this hobby.
:)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Sometimes I’ll munch on those Snyder’s Pretzel Nibblers with a little dip (French onion or Horseradish), and my go-to beverage is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, chased with Michelob Ultra.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I love a vacation day when I get up early and start the day off with a classic film and a cup of coffee. To me there is nothing better than that that regarding this hobby.
:)
I’m up at 2:30 every morning during the week for work. Even though I don’t set an alarm for the weekends, I wake up around 4:30 or 5 anyway. My wife usually sleeps until around 11 so I have a few hours of “Me time” where I can read, play video games, or watch a movie.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
no food and drinks during 3Ds. worried about the expensive glasses. Anything else...

Smart Food white cheese popcorn in black bag, not the lame lite vers in the white bag yuck1
mixed nuts
Russell's Stover sugar free chocate candies
Coffee with different flavors dumped in

I want all of this now af'r typin it in!!!!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As others have said, I rarely actually eat in my theater room but I always have an adult beverage handy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I used to almost always eat popcorn when watching a movie; at pretty much every theatrical showing and most home viewings. In recent years, I've cut back substantially on this. I haven't loved most movie theater popcorn in ages, and I haven't had much of a craving for it at home either.

In theaters, I will still occasionally grab a popcorn to go with the movie, usually only when I have a coupon for a free or discounted one. Though I don't get it often anymore, I still love a great fresh popcorn with a fountain cherry Coke.

At home, these days I tend not to snack during a movie. If the moviewatching happens to fall into a time of day when I would normally eat a meal, I'll just eat that meal during the movie. Occasionally if I'm hosting a screening, I might try to serve a snack that matches the movie. (I'd love to host a dinner party with "Rope" as the featured movie!) But these days, having a snack as a condition for watching a movie seems less essentially. That may be due to me watching more movies than ever over the past few years; at a certain point, if moviewatching becomes a routine instead of a special occasion, I don't really need the special occasion snack every time.

I almost always have some kind of beverage on hand for a movie, though. It used to be a Vitamin Water (yellow Tropical Citrus flavor which included caffeine), but I've been cutting excess sugar out of my diet over the past year. These days, it's usually a large glass of cold water, or a caffeinated Crystal Light mix if I need a little pick-me-up.

In other words, my movie snacks are boring these days.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Texas here so it’s definitely tortilla chips and pace picante sauce, typically the “hot” kind with the red lid. But definitely not all the time. With two kids and a wife I rarely get a chance to watch “my films”. Usually have to wait until a Friday or Saturday night after every one is asleep. Occasionally I’ll have some bourbon but then I risk passing out before the movie is over. Haha, especially when it’s late at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks